14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 4:46 PM by bsp2020

ACML and iGPU of Kaveri

huber

Will (in the future) ACML use iGPU in Kaveri, for example, to execute instructions BLAS?.

I use ACML instead of  BLAS (package "libblas3") under Ubuntu just linked by  "update-alternatives" (as described, for example, here Accelerate your (matrix) computations with ACML on (K)Ubuntu 11.10 | Luis E's thoughts... ). Can it be used in the same way the computational power iGPU Kaveri after updating ACML (I'm talking about future releases)?

• Re: ACML and iGPU of Kaveri
          kknox

Hi Huber~

Check out the beta of ACML 6, which begins integration of heterogeneous computing through the clMath libraries: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/04/16/acml-beta-6-0-released/.  Kaveri & Tahiti are supported devices in the beta.

bsp2020

Hi,

I'm trying to build GNU Octave 3.8.1 with ACML 6 (acml-6-0-3-92Beta-gfortran-64bit.tgz) and getting the following error.

configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.

I followed the instructions in Accelerate your (matrix) computations with ACML on (K)Ubuntu 11.10 | Luis E's thoughts...  to setup the alternative BLAS/LAPACK.

My OS is Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm running alpha2 kernel from HSAFoundation/Linux-HSA-Drivers-And-Images-AMD · GitHub and my hardware is Kaveri A10-7850K with ASUS A88x-PRO

Can you help me get it compiled? I'm interested in comparing GNU Octave performance between default/ACML CPU/ACML GPU.

Thanks!

Brian

kknox

Hi bsp2020~

configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.

This error is too generic for us to be able to make any sense out of.  If you go into the examples folder of ACML, can you run the makefile and build all the examples on your machine?  ACML 6 is compiled with gfortran 4.7.1; is your compiler at least this new?  Also, this beta only contains shared libraries, the static libraries were not shipped to simplify support.  Make sure that your configure script can find and use the .so files.

An additional note: you don't need an HSA driver to utilize ACML 6; it runs on a vanilla OpenCL installation.  So, you will need the Catalyst driver suite to install OpenCL runtime on the machine. 

Kent

bsp2020

Hi Kent,

I have gfortran 4.8.1. All the packages I installed on this machine is from the default repositories except the HSA libraries and kernels I got from bitbucket/github. I was going to try C++AMP with HSA first but I changed my mind and am now trying is to compare the default/ACML CPU/ACML GPU performance in GNU Octave. So, I'm trying to get Octave built with ACML without AMD OpenCL driver first, to get ACML CPU performance. Then, I'll install Catalyst driver to enable OpenCL.

I tried to build the examples and got:

briansp@kaveri:~/acml/gfortran64_mp/examples$ make -f GNUmakefile

Compiling program acmlinfo.f:

gfortran -c acmlinfo.f -o acmlinfo.o

Linking program acmlinfo.exe:

gfortran -fopenmp acmlinfo.o -L ../lib -lrt -ldl -lstdc++ -lacml_mp -o acmlinfo.exe

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_release'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_abort'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_acquire'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `dlclose'

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [acmlinfo.res] Error 1

Can you help me?

Brian

bsp2020

I tried ACML 5.3.1 and was able to build Octave with it. However, I noticed that ACML 5.3.1 came with an install script which seemed to fix up the make file. Was 6.0.3 also supposed to come with an install script?

Brian

kknox

This looks like the correct compile line:

gfortran -fopenmp acmlinfo.o -L ../lib -lrt -ldl -lstdc++ -lacml_mp -o acmlinfo.exe

These symbols should be defined in -ldl:

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `dlclose'

These symbols should be defined in -lstdc++:

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_release'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_abort'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `__cxa_guard_acquire'

../lib/libacml_mp.so: undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'

These are library dependencies that have been added since ACML 5.3.1.  For whatever reason, it appears your ld is either not finding your libraries in your predefined paths, or the symbols are mangled in a different way.  What happens when you run ldd on libacml_mp.so?

bsp2020

Output from ldd

ACML5.3.1

briansp@kaveri:~$ ldd /opt/acml5.3.1/gfortran64_mp/lib/libacml_mp.so

linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffcf200000)

librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f8126618000)

libgfortran.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgfortran.so.3 (0x00007f8126300000)

libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f8125ff8000)

libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007f8125de8000)

libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f8125bc8000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f8125800000)

libquadmath.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libquadmath.so.0 (0x00007f81255c0000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f81253a8000)

/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f8128bf8000)

ACML6.0.3

briansp@kaveri:~$ ldd /opt/acml6.0.3/gfortran64_mp/lib/libacml_mp.so

linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff68c00000)

librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f2f17568000)

libgfortran.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgfortran.so.3 (0x00007f2f17250000)

libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f2f16f48000)

libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007f2f16d38000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f2f16b20000)

libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f2f16900000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f2f16538000)

libquadmath.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libquadmath.so.0 (0x00007f2f162f8000)

/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f2f19b60000)

I'm not sure what is wrong... I think I'll try C++AMP again and come back to this later.

Brian

kknox

Hi bsp2020~

I think we root caused this issue, and new packages are available for download from the download table (6.0.3.97 for gfortran):

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/cpu-development/amd-core-math-library-acml/acml-downloads-resources/

If you have time, give the new package a try.

Kent

bsp2020

Kent,

I was able to build octave 3.8.1 using ACML6.0.3.97. However, the performance was a bit disappointing. I did

a = rand(5000, 5000)

svd(a)

as shown from the linked article and found that using GPU is actually slower. I don't know much about ACML/octave/svd to figure out what's going on. When using precomiled octave package 3.6.4, svd(a) took 2 min 20 sec and it used only 1 core. Using octave 3.8.1 I built, svd(a) took 1 min 10 seconds when I did not install Catalyst driver and used all 4 cores. After installing Catalyst svd(a) took 1 min 42 seconds and still used 4 cores. I'm not sure whether GPU was actually getting used at all since all 4 cores were loaded up to 95%+.

Thanks for helping me get it compiled. I wish I had more knowledge to figure out what is going on...

Brian

kknox

Hmm, this probably deserves a new thread with an appropriate title; could you fork this?  If you do, could you clarify what BLAS is used in the 3.6.4 package.  For 3.8.1, which catalyst drivers did you use?  Also, could you provide the output of clinfo on that system?  Did you build 3.8.1 from the mercurial repo?

If your cores were loaded 95%, then it sounds to me like you were using the GPU very little.  Remember that we only have GPU accelerated versions of individual BLAS routines, not traditional LAPACK routines like svd.  Does Octave default to single or double precision in your example above?

If you try to do a matrix multiply ( BLAS L3 GEMM) on a big matrix, do you see a speedup?

bsp2020

Kent,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not too familiar with how this forum work. When you said "fork", you mean just create a new post? Or, is there a fork  button some where and I'm missing it...

Also, I'm not sure what routines use LAPACK and  BLAS etc. You will have to give me some more detailed instructions or pointers an online posting/page where I can do some learning to get up to speed. I am interested in figuring out what is going on. So, I'd appreciate your guidance.

What I know now.

Catalyst version used :14.4rc v1.0 apr17

I changed kernel back to Ubuntu stock kernel in order to install catalyst driver. I'm no longer using HSA image.

I got Octave source in a tar ball from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

When I go home, I'll get other information and post. BTW, is there a way to force ACML to use CPU even when Catalyst is installed?

Thanks

Brian

kknox

Yes, I meant start a new thread.  Unfortunately, the ACML project does not have an externally visible bug tracking system, so this forum serves as such.  There is no fork button, but a new thread.

The easiest way to distinguish between LAPACK and BLAS routines is to look at the documentation at the source, http://www.netlib.org/.  Look at the LAPACK or BLAS documentation to see what each library suports. The octave SVD computation probably resolves internally to one of these lapack routines http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lug/node53.html

The easiest way to force ACML to use only CPU compute is to rename the libacml_bridge.so file to anything else, so that libacml can not find it.  If it does not find the bridge library, it will revert to CPU only.

bsp2020

Kent,

I was able to compile GNU Octave 3.8.1 using ACML and was able to get some meaningful number. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the exact cause of the trouble I initially had. Just before the weekend, my Ubuntu install stopped working and I deleted the partition to start from scratch. It turned out that BIOS update I applied (Version 1001, 2014/04/15), is broken and caused my Ubuntu setup to not boot up at all. I have already deleted the partition when I figured out the problem.

After going back to BIOS 0802, I installed Ubuntu 13.10 again and was able to compile Octave using ACML. Below is some benchmark numbers I got, in case you are interested. In summary, ACML single threaded without GPU is about 20% faster for svd and 2.5 times faster for matrix multiplication. Using ACML mp + GPU is 2 times faster than ACML single threaded without GPU. However when I rename libacml_bridge.so to something else, ACML mp performance did not change at all. So, I'm not 100% sure whether GPU is really being used. I did not write down timing number I got using ACML mp before I installed Catlayst driver 14.04. So, I'm not sure whether the benchmark is running any faster before and after installation of Catalayst driver. clinfo output is also pasted below.

I'll do some more experiment and create a new post if I still have issues.

Thanks

Linux Default ->

octave:1> a = rand(5000,5000,"single");

octave:2> tic();svd(a);elapsed_time = toc()

elapsed_time =  59.904

octave:3> tic();a*a;elapsed_time = toc()

elapsed_time =  15.024

octave:4> a = rand(5000,5000);

octave:5> tic();svd(a);elapsed_time = toc()

elapsed_time =  132.46

octave:6> tic();a*a;elapsed_time = toc()

elapsed_time =  28.595

ACML:no GPU ->

elapsed_time =  49.774

elapsed_time =  5.6783

elapsed_time =  82.735

elapsed_time =  11.423

ACML_mp:with GPU ->

elapsed_time =  27.879

elapsed_time =  2.4581

elapsed_time =  52.070

elapsed_time =  5.0666

$ clinfo

Number of platforms: 1

Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE

Platform Version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1445.5)

Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_amd_hsa

Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Number of devices: 2

Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU

Vendor ID: 1002h

Board name: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Device Topology: PCI[ B#0, D#1, F#0 ]

Max compute units: 8

Max work items dimensions: 3

Max work items[0]: 256

Max work items[1]: 256

Max work items[2]: 256

Max work group size: 256

Preferred vector width char: 4

Preferred vector width short: 2

Preferred vector width int: 1

Preferred vector width long: 1

Preferred vector width float: 1

Preferred vector width double: 1

Native vector width char: 4

Native vector width short: 2

Native vector width int: 1

Native vector width long: 1

Native vector width float: 1

Native vector width double: 1

Max clock frequency: 900Mhz

Address bits: 32

Max memory allocation: 289406976

Image support: Yes

Max number of images read arguments: 128

Max number of images write arguments: 8

Max image 2D width: 16384

Max image 2D height: 16384

Max image 3D width: 2048

Max image 3D height: 2048

Max image 3D depth: 2048

Max samplers within kernel: 16

Max size of kernel argument: 1024

Alignment (bits) of base address: 2048

Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128

Single precision floating point capability

Denorms: No

Quiet NaNs: Yes

Round to nearest even: Yes

Round to zero: Yes

Round to +ve and infinity: Yes

IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: Yes

Cache type: Read/Write

Cache line size: 64

Cache size: 16384

Global memory size: 1157627904

Constant buffer size: 65536

Max number of constant args: 8

Local memory type: Scratchpad

Local memory size: 32768

Kernel Preferred work group size multiple: 64

Error correction support: 0

Unified memory for Host and Device: 1

Profiling timer resolution: 1

Device endianess: Little

Available: Yes

Compiler available: Yes

Execution capabilities: 

Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes

Execute native function: No

Queue properties: 

Out-of-Order: No

Profiling : Yes

Platform ID: 0x00007fcb9b1c8080

Name: Spectre

Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Device OpenCL C version: OpenCL C 1.2

Driver version: 1445.5 (VM)

Profile: FULL_PROFILE

Version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1445.5)

Extensions: cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_atomic_counters_32 cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_spir cl_khr_gl_event

Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU

Vendor ID: 1002h

Board name: 

Max compute units: 4

Max work items dimensions: 3

Max work items[0]: 1024

Max work items[1]: 1024

Max work items[2]: 1024

Max work group size: 1024

Preferred vector width char: 16

Preferred vector width short: 8

Preferred vector width int: 4

Preferred vector width long: 2

Preferred vector width float: 8

Preferred vector width double: 4

Native vector width char: 16

Native vector width short: 8

Native vector width int: 4

Native vector width long: 2

Native vector width float: 8

Native vector width double: 4

Max clock frequency: 1700Mhz

Address bits: 64

Max memory allocation: 2147483648

Image support: Yes

Max number of images read arguments: 128

Max number of images write arguments: 8

Max image 2D width: 8192

Max image 2D height: 8192

Max image 3D width: 2048

Max image 3D height: 2048

Max image 3D depth: 2048

Max samplers within kernel: 16

Max size of kernel argument: 4096

Alignment (bits) of base address: 1024

Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128

Single precision floating point capability

Denorms: Yes

Quiet NaNs: Yes

Round to nearest even: Yes

Round to zero: Yes

Round to +ve and infinity: Yes

IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: Yes

Cache type: Read/Write

Cache line size: 64

Cache size: 16384

Global memory size: 7184535552

Constant buffer size: 65536

Max number of constant args: 8

Local memory type: Global

Local memory size: 32768

Kernel Preferred work group size multiple: 1

Error correction support: 0

Unified memory for Host and Device: 1

Profiling timer resolution: 1

Device endianess: Little

Available: Yes

Compiler available: Yes

Execution capabilities: 

Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes

Execute native function: Yes

Queue properties: 

Out-of-Order: No

Profiling : Yes

Platform ID: 0x00007fcb9b1c8080

Name: AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Vendor: AuthenticAMD

Device OpenCL C version: OpenCL C 1.2

Driver version: 1445.5 (sse2,avx,fma4)

Profile: FULL_PROFILE

Version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1445.5)

Extensions: cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_spir cl_amd_svm cl_khr_gl_event