13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 8:12 PM by yurtesen

Which OS has the support for AMD catalyst driver

kvraju

Hi All,

i want to run opencl applications on AMD radeon 8670 graphic card,which is presented in my laptop.

As for my understanding, to run opencl applications on radeon GPU we need to install catalyst driver as well.

Could some body suggest me which OS should i install on my laptop.So,that i should get proper AMD catalyst driver.

Thank .

• Re: Which OS has the support for AMD catalyst driver
          kvraju

hi nou & all,

thanks for information.

i have install the catalyst driver on opensuse OS .but i am  not able to run the opencl application on GPU as user .

as root i am able to run the opencl applications on GPU.

following output: as user

"Hello World

No GPU device available.

Choose CPU as default device.

input string:

Text Goes Here ......

output string:

Ufyu!Hpft!Ifsf!//////

Passed!"

following output: as root

"Hello World

input string:

Text Goes Here ......

output string:

Ufyu!Hpft!Ifsf!//////

Passed! "

Can you please help on this issue.

thanks.

nou

Do you have Xserver running? Because if you can run it only as root it sound like you are not running Xserver with exported DISPLAY enviroment variable.

kvraju

Hi Nou,

thanks for your quick reply.

due to my personal interest i want run opencl application on my laptop .

it would be grate helpful if you can guide me following queries

1) how to check the Xserver is running or not in my machine?

2) in which configuration files i need to change regarding export DISPLAY=:0.0 ?

3) can you please provide me some reference links or doc . so,that i can follow things steps by step.

Thanks

kvraju

Hi Nou,

i have followed below procedure to set Xserver and export Display.

3. If you are running openSUSE:

a. Add the following lines at the end of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup after the . /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager to modify the security settings, allowing remote sessions to access the X server and to ensure remote sessions have access to the necessary device files when communicating with the GPU.
                      xhost +
                      chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

b. If you normally use bash, add the following line to the end of /etc/bash.bashrc to ensure remote sessions know which X server to access.
                      case $DISPLAY in ’’) export DISPLAY=:0;; *) ;; esac
                      NOTE: ’ ’ are two single quotes, not a single double-quote.

Still i am facing the same issue.

Could you please help me out on this issue.

Thanks

nou

if you have normal graphical user interface then you are running Xserver. the DISPLAY should be then set. you can check value with echo $DISPLAY. what is clinfo output.

xhost +

chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

is needed only when you are trying run programs usin OpenCL through SSH.

kvraju

Hi nou,

thanks for your information.

i am running Application in local machine itself through linux terminal .

i checked the echo $DISPLAY

echo $DISPLAY

:0.0

and also i set the following commands manually as well, still i am facing same issue.

venkataraju@linux-aq5g:~/codes/HelloWorld> xhost +

access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

venkataraju@linux-aq5g:~/codes/HelloWorld> su

Password:

linux-aq5g:/home/venkataraju/codes/HelloWorld # chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*

linux-aq5g:/home/venkataraju/codes/HelloWorld # exit

exit

venkataraju@linux-aq5g:~/codes/HelloWorld> ./HelloWorld

status = 0

Hello World

numplatforms =1

numDevices = 0

No GPU device available.

Choose CPU as default device.

input string:

Text Goes Here ......

output string:

Ufyu!Hpft!Ifsf!//////

Passed!

could you please help me on this .

Thanks..

3gghead

The driver is (at least in part) comprised of one or more kernel modules for which there is no default user-level equivalent.  Be certain to make the appropriate addition(s)/change(s) to /etc/udev/rules.d/*.rules (careful though, since rules in /etc/udev/.. override the packaged rules in /lib/udev/).  Or, you could check the existing relevant /lib/udev/##-(graphics-card|drivers|udev-default).rules to determine if you can simply add your user account to the established system group (fi, group:video) to get the desired results.

The later is less likely to work as you'd like but certainly the preferred option if it does.  Giving user programs direct access to kernel modules is likely something to experiment with on a non-critical system.

In either case, you'll certainly benefit from reading the udev, udev.d and related man pages first.

kvraju

Dear AMD experts,

I need your help regarding this issue.

i again go through the AMD driver installation procedure.

And came to know that fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121 driver is not installing in my laptop.

and also i missed following point as well while installing the AMD fglrx driver.

" Before trying to install the fglrx package it's better to disable free radeon driver.

On the boot line add : radeon.modeset=0 blacklist=radeon 3 "

is that fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121 driver not installing ? due to missing the above point "disable free radeon driver before we install the fglrx driver".

is that above reason, i am not able to run the opencl applications as user mode?

Could anybody help me on this issue to go forward.

Thanks..