cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

srkm009
Journeyman III

Wanted to know about the hardware compatibility for HSA update?

Hi,

I wanted to know about the hardware usability of older hardware (unlike the latest Kaveri) say "Radeon HD 7670M" GPU for Laptops to support the HSA architecture.

From what i understand HSA involves both Hardware and software update.

So will my hardware be compatible with the HSA features?

Thanks,

Sairam

0 Likes
4 Replies
matusi143
Adept II

I do not believe discrete cards will be able to use things like NUMA or other HSA features.  About the best thing you can hope for is limited openCL 2.0 support for things like dynamic parallelism where the GPU can spawn its own threads. 

0 Likes
realhet
Miniboss

Hi,

As I guess, that new HSA unified memory thing will need the GCN 2.0 instruction set. Those are the additional flat_* memory instructions, they work with 64bit addresses and (as I understand) can handle both gpu memory and LDS. More info in the Sea Islands ISA manual. GCN2.0 cards are named Radeon Rx 2x0.

0 Likes

isn't GCN2.0 only Hawai GPU which is only in Radeon R9 290(X)? or did they make Tahity GCN 2.0 revision?

0 Likes

To be more confused: AMD announce GCN 2.0 graphics! But don't get too excited just yet... | PC Gamer

This says that GCN 2.0 is in the HD8xxx cards.

I remember that I've found the new flat_ instructions in Cat 13.4. Back then I just wondered what are they for...

0 Likes