4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 1:29 PM by himanshu.gautam

Does AMD OpenCL work with Intel HD 4000 as a GPU device

vish108

I have a laptop which comes with Intel HD 4000 graphics. I am running Ubuntu 12.04. With this configuration, I figured that AMD OpenCL SDK will work. Now, when I ran some opencl examples that come with the AMD OpenCL SDK, the SDK used the CPU, because no GPU device could be recognized.

The System Details screen shows "Graphics Intel® Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2". Running lspci shows:

$lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor
      Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:2208]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

I believe that this confirms that Intel HD 4000 is working on my machine. But I am not sure why it is not being recognized by the opencl examples as a GPU device. Please help.

Thank you.

Vishal

• Re: Does AMD OpenCL work with Intel HD 4000 as a GPU device
          himanshu.gautam

Vishal,

You need to install OpenCL from Intel if you want that device to be listed.

Note:

Intel, AMD etc.. are OpenCL Platforms.

Multiple platforms can co-exist.

Even if you link against the libraries in any 1 platform, ICD (installable client driver) mechanism (which is already in place..) will make sure that your program gets to know all the platforms present in the system (i.e. clGetPlatformIds() will return everything that is there)

You can quickly verifying by running "clinfo"

"clinfo" ships with AMD APP SDK (or probably their driver or both)....

After installing Intel SDK, just run clinfo -- It should show both AMD and Intel devices.

HTH

1 of 1 people found this helpful