4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 2:52 AM by gormanly

OpenMPI compile with Open64

mb_nnl

Hi,

I'm trying to compile Openmpi 1.6.4 on CentOS 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 with Open64 4.5.2.1.

Compile system is AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6238 stepping 02 (4x 12 core).

I've built Open64 on the same architecture from the src "x86_open64-4.5.2.1-1.src.tar.bz2", with:

../configure --prefix=/cm/shared/progs/AMD/x86_open64-4.5.2.1

The configure options for OpenMPI are:

./configure --prefix=/cm/shared/progs/Libraries/openmpi-1.6.5 CC=opencc CXX=openCC F77=openf90 FC=openf90 FLAGS=-march=bdver1 CXXFLAGS=-march=bdver1 FFLAGS=-march=bdver1 FCFLAGS=-march=bdver1

I've also tried with

./configure --prefix=/cm/shared/progs/Libraries/openmpi-1.6.5 CC=opencc CXX=openCC F77=openf90 FC=openf90 FLAGS=-march=bdver2 CXXFLAGS=-march=bdver2 FFLAGS=-march=bdver2 FCFLAGS=-march=bdver2

For OpenMPI, 'make all' fails with the error:

make[7]: Entering directory `/mnt/fhgfs/home/chemmod/mb123/Software/openmpi-1.6.4/ompi/contrib/vt/vt/tools/vtfilter'

CXX    vtfilter-vt_filter.o

In file included from ./vt_filter.cc:13:

./vt_filter.h:39:12: error: floating constant in preprocessor expression

In file included from ./vt_filter.cc:13:

./vt_filter.h:39:12: error: floating constant in preprocessor expression

make[7]: *** [vtfilter-vt_filter.o] Error 1

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Mark

• Re: OpenMPI compile with Open64
          gormanly

The version string is 4 digits (4.5.2.1) and the contributed VampirTrace is expecting 3, then falling over when the value of an integer constant is "2.1" i.e. a float.

It might be possible to hack the build system of VT (will take a look later this week if I get time), but until then or such time as upstream fixes it and the fix makes it into the OpenMPI distribution, work-around by either disabling the VT build within the OpenMPI build or revert to Open64 4.5.2 which can build OpenMPI including VT.

• Re: OpenMPI compile with Open64
              gormanly

The problem is in 3 files, which try to do preprocessor tests on a builtin which has a float value:

ompi/contrib/vt/vt/tools/vtfilter/old/vt_tracefilter.cc

ompi/contrib/vt/vt/tools/vtfilter/vt_filter.h

ompi/contrib/vt/vt/tools/vtunify/vt_unify.h

To resolve:

1) In the 2 header files, remove the last OR from the if test

if !defined(__OPENCC__) || !defined(__OPENCC_MINOR__) || !defined(__OPENCC_

PATCHLEVEL__)

2) Comment out the if loop that appears in all 3 files

if !(__OPENCC_PATCHLEVEL__ + 0)

endif

3) Make the check to disable OpenMP if compiler version is less than 4.2.4 into one for if compiler version is less than 4.3, again in all 3 files.

After confirming that the bug found here is still in the current VampirTrace 5.14.4 source, I got this advice and a patch from the VampirTrace support people - who were brilliant - and backported it to the older version included in OpenMPI 1.6.3 as well.