AnsweredAssumed Answered

OpenGL Compute Shader BSOD

Question asked by dutta on Aug 13, 2013

Hi again!

I've been experimenting with compute shaders and explicit image format bindings and ran into somewhat of a problem. I know my usage is incorrect, but it still shouldn't cause a BSOD. First I create a texture like so:

glGenTextures(1, &this->computeTexture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, computeTexture);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_R32F, 512, 512, 0, GL_RED, GL_FLOAT, 0);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glGenerateMipmap(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0);

And the compute shader code is:

layout(local_size_x = 16, local_size_y = 16, local_size_z = 1) in;
layout(rgba32f) restrict uniform image2D img;
uniform float roll;

void
main()
{
  ivec2 storePos = ivec2(gl_GlobalInvocationID.xy);
  float localCoef = length(vec2(ivec2(gl_LocalInvocationID.xy)-8)/8.0f);
  float globalCoef = sin(float(gl_WorkGroupID.x+gl_WorkGroupID.y) * 0.1 + roll) * 0.5f;
  imageStore(img, storePos, vec4(1.0f - globalCoef, 0, 0, 0));
}

It's executed as such:

glDispatchCompute(512/16,512/16,1);

Whenever I run this compute shader I get a BSOD (or sometimes an non-recovering driver crash). I know that I try to bind an R32F texture as an rgba32f image, however I still only write to the red channel. This is with a 7970 on Windows 7 with the 13.4 driver.

Correction, I forgot to post how I bound the texture to the image:

glBindImageTexture(this->textureUnit, (GLint)this->currentValue[0], 0, GL_FALSE, 0, GL_READ_WRITE, GL_R32F);

This caused the BSOD, however when I changed it to:

glBindImageTexture(this->textureUnit, (GLint)this->currentValue[0], 0, GL_FALSE, 0, GL_READ_WRITE, GL_RGBA32F);

It worked fine. So it seems that whenever glBindImageTexture is supplied a format which is a mismatch with what it says in the shader, the result is a BSOD. The OpenGL specification doesn't mention whether or not this is supposed to be allowed, so I guess this behaviour is simply undefined.

Outcomes