AnsweredAssumed Answered

OpenCL mmap vs malloc, different data transfer speed using clEnqueueWriteBuffer on LINUX platform.

Question asked by zhangjingtian on Aug 7, 2013

Hi,

Here is the situation:

kernel  side:

1.we alloc a big area of physical memory when linux start up using alloc_boot_mem

2.we write a simple char device driver implementing the mmap function in the file_operations struct to map the physical memory to user space.

user space side:

1.we open the char device and then using the mmap api to get the virtual address of the physical memory we alloced in kernel space.

2.we alloc a same size of virtual memory using malloc.

the test:

we used the opencl api clEnqueueWriteBuffer to transfer these two memory area to the device, but it showed a different transfer speed, if we transfer the malloc memory firstly and  then transfer

the mmap memory area secondly, the transfer speeds were 1.5GB/S vs 500MB/s. if we transfer the mmap memory firstly and then transfer the malloc memory area secondly, the transfer speeds

were 700MB/s vs 900MB/s.

Any one can tell me why? And how can i to make the mmap memory transfer speed the same as the malloc memory.

Thanks.

Here is the mmap function we implemented in the char device driver:

int my_mmap(struct file *filp, struct vm_area_struct *vma)

{

vma->vm_flags |= VM_RESERVED | VM_IO;

if(remap_pfn_range(vma, vma->vm_start, virt_to_phys((void *)my_boot_mem)>>PAGE_SHIFT,

boot_mem_size, vma->vm_page_prot))

{

return -EAGAIN;

}

return 0;

}

Outcomes