cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bsp2020
Challenger

CLBenchmark 1.1 crashes when running on CPU. Known issue?

Hi,

I just tried CLBenchmark and found that it does not run properly when I select CPU as the device to benchmark. Is this a known issue? This seems to be AMD OpenCL runtime issue since I tried the same benchmark on Intel machine with Intel OpenCL runtime and it works fine. I used CLBenchmark 1.1.3 and Catalyst 13.6 Beta 2. I also had APP SDK 2.8.1 installed. Phenom II X3 710 and HD6950 & GTX680. The benchmark ran fine on HD6950 and GTX680.

Brian

0 Likes
5 Replies
bsp2020
Challenger

I tried it on my notebook (A8-3510MX) with Catalyst Mobility 13.6 Beta 2 and found that it also has problem with CPU OpenCL device. Then I updated the driver to Mobility Catalyst OpenGL4.3 beta driver that was just released and CLBenchmark fails to run on either CPU or GPU device. This is bad...

0 Likes

Tried catalyst drivers 13.8 beta and GPU device still fails.

0 Likes

I had run the test in a machine having HD7870, Intel i3550K, Catalyst 13.6, Win7-64, SDK 2.8.1.

I was able to run clBenchmark on the GPU device, although could not select the CPU device from device selection textbox.

Do you know if clBenchmark is a opensource project? In case it is not, people maintaining the project should be asked about this issue.

0 Likes

Himanshu,

Thanks for looking into this. By Catalyst 13.6, do you mean Catalyst 13.6 Beta2? How about 13.8 beta that was just released? 13.6 worked for me on HD6950 and A8-3510MXGPU as well. Problem is that newer drivers (OGL4.3 and 13.8) stopped working. I don't know whether clBenchmark is open source or not. However, since it runs fine with Intel OCL and NVidia OCL as well as older AMD OCL, I'm pretty sure the problem is with newer AMD OCL driver. I don't have HD7xxx hardware. So, I don't know if GCN based hardware are OK or not. Can you try 13.8 Beta and let me know if it still works for you?

Brian

0 Likes

It runs for me on HD7850 card with catalyst 13.8 beta. Anyways do we need to do something different to select the CPU device. AMD's implementation supports both CPU and GPU, but only GPU is shown as device in clBenchmark. The benchmark seems to be downloading device specific binaries and run them, so I would assume it to be closed source. I suggest you to report the issues to them only.

0 Likes