Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

annieyang
Journeyman III

HelloWorld Error: access violation

Hi,

I'm new to opencl.

I'm using vs 2008 on windows 7.

I installed AMD APP SDK 2.8 and started to run the demo helloworld in debug mode .But it breaks down with an access violation and the error happens at the first func clGetPlatformIDs.

I searched the forum and found a similar problem,then I checked my display card's mode (ATI MOBILITY RADEON 5650) and installed a Catalyst Software Suite. It contains Display Driver ver. 12.104  ,  OpenCL(tm) Driver ver. 10.0.1124.2  ,  Catalyst Control Center ver. 2013.0328.2217.38225

But still, the demo breaks down. What should I do?

Also, I found that my clinfo.exe seems broken.I double clicked it and it stops working imediately. What's the problem? Does it affect the opencl?

HELP ME,PLEASE!

0 Likes
1 Solution
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Welcome to the OpenCL World

What system config you have CPU, GPU. Is it 32bit or 64-bit machine OS?

Some simple steps for you:

1. Uninstall everything using uninstaller utility from AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility

2. Manually remove AMD APP folder from the "Documents" directory. Also delete amdocl.dll & OpenCL.dll from C:\Windows\system32 and syswow64 folder, incase they are present.

3. Reboot.

4. Install AMD Graphics Driver: AMD Graphics Drivers & Software – Download the latest drivers for your graphics products

5. Reboot.

6. Run clinfo from cmdline.

7. Install AMD APP SDK, and run samples.

Note manually deleting dlls is not recommended by AMD. I just suggested that in case you really screwed up with installation somehow.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Welcome to the OpenCL World

What system config you have CPU, GPU. Is it 32bit or 64-bit machine OS?

Some simple steps for you:

1. Uninstall everything using uninstaller utility from AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility

2. Manually remove AMD APP folder from the "Documents" directory. Also delete amdocl.dll & OpenCL.dll from C:\Windows\system32 and syswow64 folder, incase they are present.

3. Reboot.

4. Install AMD Graphics Driver: AMD Graphics Drivers & Software – Download the latest drivers for your graphics products

5. Reboot.

6. Run clinfo from cmdline.

7. Install AMD APP SDK, and run samples.

Note manually deleting dlls is not recommended by AMD. I just suggested that in case you really screwed up with installation somehow.

0 Likes

Thank you ,Himanshu

It worked !

But I wondered, what clinfo means to opencl? clGetPlatformId actually uses clinfo.exe?

0 Likes

But I wondered, what clinfo means to opencl? clGetPlatformId actually uses clinfo.exe?

clinfo is just a utility that gives the information about all the OpenCL platforms and devices present in your system.

On the contrary clinfo uses clGetPlatformId

0 Likes

HI,Himanshu

I just realised that my demo didn't run correctly,because it didn't find the GPU and it only used the CPU.WHY

I downloaded a driver on AMD Graphics Drivers & Software – Download the latest drivers for your graphics products .

I got a ATI Radeon HD5650 display card on my notebook. Did I download the wrong driver? Is this the reason why the opencl can't find the GPU?

0 Likes

I do not understand what worked for you earlier then?

Hopefully you installed catalyst 13.6 beta (latest available at this time)? Can you run clinfo after installing driver? Does clinfo give details about your GPU device?

0 Likes

Forgive that I'm silly...

I just saw the demo can run and I thought it's ok and I didn't see any detail.

But today I ran the demo again and I found that it can not find the GPU and it used CPU, but I got a display card, so I realised that it's not right.

I can run the clinfo.exe, but it only shows one device that is CPU.

Actually My notebook has a integrate graphics and a discrete graphics. Does this matter?

0 Likes

Actually My notebook has a integrate graphics and a discrete graphics. Does this matter?

It may matter depending on your vendor. I am guessing you have intel's integrated graphics and AMD's discrete graphics. Can you try disabling the integrated graphics and then try.

0 Likes

I was wrong !

My notebook got one intel HD graphic and a AMD Radeon HD 5650 graphic.

First, I disabled the intel card, but the screen shows unnormally .

Then I tried to install the catalyst beta 13.6 and catalyst mobility 13.6 (I tried both causeI can't see the difference between these two. I also tried a auto detect tool, but it didn't offer anything warning that something is incompatible) . I tried several times ,sometimes it failed with some unknow reason. But even though the catalyst was installed successfully,the screen still displays in a bad condition. And I tried the clinfo.exe, still no GPU only CPU.

Then I uninstalled the catalyst, and  installed a driver which I downloaded from my notebook's brand's website, the screen displays normally, But the clinfo.exe even can not work.With this driver installed, I installed the catalyst again, and in the middle of the installing, the screen suddenly went totally black.

Just no matter how I installed the catalyst, clinfo doesn't show GPU.

The dirver version in catalyst 13.6 is 13.1. Someone said this version doesn't work. But I can't find any download link to previous version!

Please help !

0 Likes

CATALYST and GRAPHICS ARE ONE AND SAME.

you need not install them one after another. You system seems to have screwed up quite a bit now. Try the steps mentioned above (marked as correct) again. Try disabling the Intel graphics from BIOS before starting the procedure. You can also ask your vendor for help, if vendor provided driver is not working for you.

0 Likes