cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

niederb
Journeyman III

Theoretical peak FLOPS

I have question regarding the theoretical peak FLOPS of my graphics card.

I have a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition which has a peak of 4096 GFLOPS.

Now I would wanted to calculate this number.

When I just multiply the core clock (1000 MHz) with the number of cores (2048) I get 2048 GFLOPS.

What am I missing to get the 4096 FLOPS? Does a MAD operation count as two operations?

Then again according to the AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing OpenCL Programming Guide it can execute 4 MAD, ADD or MUL operations per cycle (Page 5-23)?

Which would mean the number of FLOPS would be even higher.

Can someone explain how to calculate the theoretical peak FLOPS?

Many thanks!

Niederb

0 Likes
2 Replies
nou
Exemplar

yes MAD is counted as two operations. one cycle is executed in four clock as it executes 64 wide wavefront in four clocks.

kd2
Adept II

Part of the ever-existing confusion is that the terminology is dependent on context. When talking about the Southern Islands / GCNs, the 7970 has 32 Compute Units (CUs), each CU has 4 SIMDs, and each SIMD having 16 Processing Elements (ALUs).  So simple.. with a FMA counting as 2 ops/cycle, that gives you 4096 flops. But some of the documentation in the Southern Islands docs (like the table on 5-23) is more structured as if it was still talking about the Evergreen and Northern Islands chips where the Compute Unit is described as 16 Stream Processors (SP) and the SP does 4 ops per cycle.

0 Likes