I would like to make sure I'm starting on the right foot as I build my workstation and get developing. First the hardware:
- Supermicro 7046GT-TRF X8DTG-QF workstation. Last gen pcie 2.0 GPU workstations that were intended to house Nvidia's Fermi cards. 4 Slots for double wide GPU cards.
- 2X Xeon L5630.
- planned 4X Sapphire HD 7970 6GB 'Vapor-X' or 'Toxic'. I believe the extra RAM will really help with performance.
Anything I should know?
- modify for water-cooling.
Please let me know if there's anything I should know.
- Windows laptop for frontend & development. Workstation will be 'headless' - no display/keyboard/mouse. Remote desktop for managing/monitoring.
- Likely Ubuntu OS
- Are there Linux tools to monitor and manage the workstation?
- Am I correct that the ideal dev environment is in Visual Studio and not Linux? I will download the Visual Studio packages.
- Also, any development supported for Mac OSX?
- Drivers !?
Thanks for the help!