AnsweredAssumed Answered

Please provide a recent build of ACML for CentOS 6

Question asked by sjg on May 9, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 by sjg

CentOS 6 (or whatever RHEL 6 you like) is a very popular enterprise Linux distribution.  I need a recent version of ACML which works on this platform.  By recent, I mean, supports LAPACK versions >= 3.2.  I have been using ACML 4.4.0 previously, but that's too old (LAPACK 3.1.1 I think).  It therefore doesn't work with R 3.0.0.

Specifically, the problems are:

1. R 3.0.0 doesn't work with ACML 4.4.0 because of the undefined LAPACK symbol dpstrf (maybe there are other reasons too)

2. ACML 5.3.1 doesn't work on CentOS 6, because of GFORTRAN version incompatability (/usr/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: /usr/lib64/libgfortran.so.3: version `GFORTRAN_1.4' not found (required by /usr/lib64/acml-blas-lapack-5.3.1/gfortran64_mp/lib/libblas.so.3)

Previous threads on this topic (e.g. http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1285256#1285256) have suggested that I should build my own gcc 4.6 tool chain.  If I did that, I'd basically have to rebuild my whole system using gcc 4.6, which is like making my own Linux distribution.  That suggestion is surely ludicrous.

Also, there are some compelling features in R 3.0.0 (w.r.t very large array handling) which mean we really need it.

Therefore I politely request AMD to release a recent version of ACML built on a RHEL 6 (or clone) system, using the standard system gcc/gfortran.  There are surely many people wanting a similar thing.

Isn't that reasonable?

cheers,

Simon

PS: Alternatively, let me have the ACML source code under a NDA and I'll build it for you.  ;-)

Outcomes