cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

emarko
Journeyman III

Opencl Causes display driver to crash

Hello, I'm having a very difficult time getting opencl to function with my 6950.  I have tried it in two different computers and any time opencl is used the driver stops responding and recovers.  Currently I have it installed in a computer with a clean install of Win 7 pro.  I have tried catalyst 12.1, 12.8, 12.8, 13.1 and 13.3 beta drivers with the same results.  I have also tried all versions of sdk.

For example I have tried to run Folding at Home as soon as it tries to access the gpu with opencl the driver crashes.  I have also tried disabling TrDelay in the registry and the only result was that it locked up my system.  Is there something I'm missing?

If anybody has any ideas I would welcome the help!

-update

I uninstalled amd catalyst using the control panel.  I then used the atiman uninstall tool to delete any traces that were left over.  I rebooted then I installed Catalyst  12.10 and SDK 2.8 which according to amd's website are tested to be able to function together.  I'm still having Opencl cause the display driver to stop responding and recover. In the event log it states that amdkmdap has stopped responding and has successfully recovered.  I'm starting to think that this may be a hardware issue with the video card, but the card functions properly while using it for gaming or other tasks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Is it a issue with folding@home only, or with anything that you run on your card ?

I would suggest you to use AMD Uninstall utility to clean your system once, and then check with SDK 2.8 and Catalyst 13.1.

I will try to install folding@home on some machine here and tell you my findings.

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply.  I uninstalled my current drivers, and installed catalyst 13.1 and sdk 2.8.  I started folding@home and the driver stopped responding and recovered as it did before.  Another program that causes the same behavior is gpu caps viewer 1.18.0.  Here is a link to the download: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/GPU-Caps-Viewer-Download-77431.html.  In the main window of the program on the lower right are opencl demos that can be used to test the gpu.  All of them work except for the CL GPU-1m-Particles demo.  It causes the display driver to stop responding and recover just like folding@home does.  I'm not sure what these have in common but I hope this information might help.

0 Likes

Has anyone had any success in solving this problem?  As far as I can tell there is no reason for it not to work properly.  I have called AMD support and they seem to think that it may be a bug in catalyst.  I filled out a bug report as I was instructed and I have heard nothing.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Any thoughts or advice?

0 Likes

emarko wrote:

Has anyone had any success in solving this problem?  As far as I can tell there is no reason for it not to work properly.  I have called AMD support and they seem to think that it may be a bug in catalyst.  I filled out a bug report as I was instructed and I have heard nothing.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Any thoughts or advice?

You have filed a bug report? Is it in this forum post or somewhere else too? I did tried GPU capsviewer and folding@home on 13.4 driver with a HD 7xxx system. They seem to be working fine. Can you once check with catalyst 13.4? And probably i should check with HD 6xxx device.

0 Likes