25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 1:59 AM by edo

New legacy drivers?

ert65

Does somebody knows anything about releasing a new legacy drivers with support for new Xorg and new kernels support? I don't know where to ask such question, so i write here. Sorry if this is inappropriate for this discussion, but i want to use fglrx on ubuntu 13.04 and i can't, which is a problem for me.

• Re: New legacy drivers?
          himanshu.gautam

Can you detail what problems are you facing?

Which driver did you try to install? (Which version?)

ert65

My videocard is Ati Mobility Radeon 545v, which uses this driver http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeon_linux.aspx , but this driver does not support Kernel version above 3.4 (in Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 are 3.5 and 3.8). Also does not support Xserver above 1.12 (in Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 is 1.13).

nelg

I also have this problem..

Please release a new version of the legacy driver that supports the current kernels and Xservers.

himanshu.gautam

Thanks for your inputs.

I have asked some knowledgeable people about it.

nelg

Thank you for asking your internal team about this.

I would like to point out that this is really important for the Linux community.

Many people have laptops, where the graphics card cannot be replaced, so they rely on drivers being available, especially when the Laptops they have a less than 3 years old and not due for replacement yet.

Most major Linux distributions are now shipping newer linux Kernel's and Xservers than are supported by the legacy driver.   This results in pretty bad experience for those users.. and the general users options are: to run

very old distributions, try the open source driver (which is not idea), downgrade the X server (technically beyond most users) or replace hardware.  If they have to replace their hardware, I doub't the would want to be replacing it with AMD hardware, if they are unhappy about the driver support.

Here are some major Linux distributions affected, from a quick search:

Mageia 3

Ubuntu 13.4, 12.10, 12.4, Linux mint

Arch Linux

Fedora 19, 18

OpenSuse Tumbleweed, 12.3

With products like steam coming out on Linux.. support for graphics cards is important.

Regards

Glen Ogilvie

nelg

Any news on this?  Maybe a date we can expect support for the current versions of Linux in the legacy drivers?

Regards

Glen Ogilvie

siavash

Are you still waiting?

dyne

I'm still waiting too :S

With free drivers various games don't work.

nelg

Yes.. still waiting.

siavash

It looks like AMD is not going to touch legacy Linux drivers anymore and only Windows drivers will receive updates to fix major rendering issues with some games.

By the way you might give open source drivers a try again. Linux kernel 3.11 supports experimental DPM (Dynamic Power Management) and it has been enabled by default for kernel 3.13. The new DPM code lets the GPU to tune clocks and voltages based on work load which should provide tear free and less power hungry experience for your laptop like FGLRX drivers.

All open source drivers are going to receive full OpenGL 3.3 support with Mesa 10.1 release. However RadeonHD2/3/4K cards do require Linux kernel 3.14 to utilize new features.

At the moment all UVD 2.2 enabled Radeon cards (some 4000 series and newer 5000+) can enjoy the GPU accelerated video decoding. UVD 2.0 and older code is on review queue by AMD technical staff, which has low priority for them. Regards to the OpenCL support, it's not in good condition yet.

just_rgd

Open Source drivers for Radeon are still worse in power management than the (old) fglrx driver. E.g. Acer Aspire One notebook (Radeon 4250) w/ Ubuntu-11.10 and fglrx driver 8.911 consumes ~10W (or even slightly less) on a typical "browse internet" workload. The same notebook w/ Ubuntu up to 14/04 and open source drivers consumes ~18W or even more in a similar load modes. Certainly having half as much "mobility time" upsets me a lot

BTW Asus X200CA w/ an Intel graphics card and (obviously) open source drivers gives me less than 8W right out of the box

nelg

Hi Himanshu,

Please can you find out if an update of the legacy drivers is possible, and when.

They were last updated 1/21/2013.  

I am stuck with a laptop at present, that it is extremely difficult to upgrade Linux on, due to all major distro's shipping with an X server above version 1.12.

The free driver won't run by external monitor.. so I can't really use that.

Regards

Glen Ogilvie

boot

Meanwhile Nvidia keeps updating their legacy drivers...

NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux Display Driver - x86

NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

Good job AMD....

stan5

Yeah!! We really need an update for legacy drvier...

One year without update! Please consider us and prove me that I made a good choice when I bought my radeon HD4850.

Anyway we really need information even if you will never rebuild this legacy driver but please don't let us in the dark.

A simple customer.

eses

Why don't you guys use the OpenSource driver?

vi2p

Why not the Open Source driver?  Simple answer:  because it doesn't work.

I have a Radeon HD3870x2 and after login, it just flashes to black a couple of times and hard locks the system.  Doesn't matter if I have composite (3D Desktop) on or off.  With the fglrx-legacy driver I was able to run Steam games on this card, now I cant even run LibreOffice. 

siavash

Please fill a bug report if you want the issue with open source driver get fixed. Open source driver performance is about 50%-70% of the (old) FGLRX driver at the moment (Mesa 10.1 + Kernel 3.13) which is improving very nice these days; However if you are intending to play demanding games, you will still need to keep the FGLRX around to squeeze every last drop of performance for these cards.

renoldscott

I also think about open source driver.

venohm

I was so hoping this would be resolved.  I know I keep getting pointed to the opensoruce driver, but I don't believe it supports crossfire and I have two of the older Radeon HD cards connected for CrossFire and would like to use Stream under fedora to play some of my games on Linux.

edo

It wont happen. But linux 3.17 + mesa 10.3 should bring a better performance for r600, I use the free driver, and works good.

Catalyst-legacy was dropped even for windows, the last update you will find is the 13.9 and it's going to be the last one. It could probably wont work for windows 9, so the chances to an update for Linux are 0.

Btw, thats not cool at all.

But I know they have devs writing code for the free driver, so its good to see than they concern about the free driver, at least linux users will be able to use the latest linux (I cant say the same for the windows users if they dont update the legacy driver in the future)