cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

AMD APP SDK 2.8 runtime installation bug?

I realized that if Catalyst drivers are installed, then the OpenCL runtime files such as libamdocl64.so do not get installed. Strangely the driver version stays old version supplied by catalyst...

Version:                                   OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1084.4)

On a different box with catalyst, even older version (although both boxes should have Catalyst 13.1)

Version:                                   OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1016.4)

Only on a box with no AMD GPU, the installation puts the latest version:

Version:                                   OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1113.2)

and old versions seem to print errors such as

"/tmp/OCLf0b38e.cl", line 6: warning: unknown attribute "vec_type_hint"

__kernel  __attribute__((vec_type_hint(double)))

while new version does not.

Can you tell if this also effects performance perhaps or not ?

I already had a case where a program was frozen when used with new include files but old driver (I dont know if this was the reason but now I have suspicions and will try to test this tomorrow).

Is this a bug in the APP SDK installer?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

When you extract AMD APP 2.8 "gz" archive on Linux, you will find a file called "ReadMe.txt" along with "Install-AMD-APP.sh" and other files. Here is an extract from its note:

"

Note:
    As of SDK 2.8, the AMD APP SDK GPU runtime is not supported. To get the APP GPU runtime file,
    install the Catalyst driver. The SDK 2.8 runtime supports only CPU hardware; it is installed under
    /opt/AMDAPP/

Recommandations for GPU user:
    Install 12.10 (or later) Catalyst driver then install SDK 2.8 to avoid the CPU RT files installation.

"

I dont find this ReadMe.txt file in the installed location (like inside /opt/AMDAPP). Not sure why it is not installed.

Will check with APP SDK Team and let you know on this,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention,

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu,

I read the readme actually. I was trying to run programs on CPU. But SDK 2.8 does not install runtime file libamdocl64.so (and some other files) in /opt/AMDAPP if Catalyst is installed another libamdocl64.so for example to /usr/lib on ubuntu systems (it is built into the perl installer script, I checked that also)

Also, I suspect that Catalyst does not update the runtime files either. (maybe to avoid overwriting APP-SDK files, something was put into catalyst installer at some point?) What is the latest version of the runtime which comes with catalyst???

I get 1113.2 with APP-SDK, 2.8. Today, I will try to uninstall catalyst altogether and then re-install to see if it installs a newer version after erasing the older version.

Also, I see the same version number independent of if I create a context for GPU or CPU. It looks like same runtime file is used for both gpu and cpu anyway?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes

Himanshu, I tested this and Catalyst 13.1 upgrade left the machine in version 1016.4.

However if I totally uninstall Catalyst 13.1 and then re-install, it updates to version 1084.4

If I uninstall Catalyst fully then install AMD-APP-SDK and then install Catalyst, I see version 1113.2

I can tell it does something to code compilation for CPUs and GPUs because I see different buildprogram log outputs between different versions.

It looks like the problem is that Catalyst does not update the runtime version, and APP-SDK does not install anything when it sees Catalyst already put some files.

As I mentioned, I already had a program compiled with new include files freeze with old runtime because of this, and now after the upgrade I am able to use new include files and program seems to be working...

0 Likes

Thanks for the your feedback. I will try to reproduce it and forward to the driver team if needed.

0 Likes