[OpenGL] occlusion query extremely slow, conditional rendering broken

Discussion created by nowhere-01 on Feb 21, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 by nowhere-01

Occlusion Query Test conditions:

Windows 7 x64,

Catalyst 13.1,

Gigabyte HD 6670(bought especially for testing),

Occlusion query FBO size 256x256,

About 10-12 objects of different size and distance passing frustum test to be rendered for occlusion test,

Every object about 2-3k triangles,

Rendering with glDrawElements, no deprecated stuff.

Result:

Putting glFinish and timer after rendering to occlusion query says occlusion query is ready in 25 ms average. it seems heavily fillrate-limited, because rendering bounding boxes doesn't help. and about 50 small billboards rendered for lens-flare occlusion take 1-2 ms to finish. It's terrible, but it get's worse. if i don't force occlusion query to finish and check if it's ready on the next frame like that:

loop() {

checkOcclusionQuery(); //get occlusion query results from previous frame if available

renderToOcclusionQuery();

renderTheScene();

};

this loop runs at 30 fps, so every frame takes 33ms to finish. enough for our query, right? but it's not ready by next frames. in fact, it takes 3-4 frames 33 ms each until occlusion query is ready. 105 ms in average. it's ridiculous. 25 ms are unacceptable even for 10 times objects i render. 105 ms marks it as broken part of functionality. it seems like occlusion query result is getting delayed by other commands pushed to pipeline, which makes it useless.

Conditional Rendering:

I've seen it's already have been reported, but described poorly. A bit of detail: conditional rendering always passes if you use it with GL_NO_WAIT. and it stalls GPU up to the point it crashes driver if you use GL_WAIT. Forcefully waiting for occlusion query to finish before using conditional rendering, doesn't make it work. It's completely broken.

P.S.: As a developer, i'm really pissed off with your current implementation of OpenGL, since i've dealed with AMD cards 3 years ago, you didn't improve a lot. Your driver's are still full of critical issues, your employees never visit OpenGL.org forums anymore, and i have no desire to support your hardware.

Outcomes