4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 11:56 PM by himanshu.gautam

workgroups, scalar registers, constant buffers

foomanchoo

good morning.

i currently use 64 constant uint in every thread of every workgroup in my kernel like so:

__constant uint * coeff = coeff_kernel_argument;

uint coeff1 = coeff[0];

uint coeff63 = coeff[63];

i am delighted to see that the 64 values end up in scalar registers (i am talking about Tahiti), as confirmed with the ISA dump.

now i would like to change it to:

uint * coeff = coeff_kernel_argument + get_global_id(0) / get_local_size(0) * 64;

unfortunately this results in the coeff?? variables to be stored in vgprs, even though their values are the same for each thread of a workgroup.

i am also beginning to rewrite my kernel in AMDIL for other reasons and as such a workaround that only works on the IL level would be suffice.

thanks a lot.

• Re: workgroups, scalar registers, constant buffers
          coordz

uint * coeff = coeff_kernel_argument + get_global_id(0) / get_local_size(0) * 64;

unfortunately this results in the coeff?? variables to be stored in vgprs, even though their values are the same for each thread of a workgroup.

You appear to be using the global thread id in your calculation which varies per thread which leads to the values being put in VGPRs.