3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 6:17 AM by binghy

How to start programming

leudassdf

Hello,

I would like to start programming in Gpu but not yet found a "tuturial" to teach me what to install, how to install and how to create code.

I currently own the latest version of catalyst and visual studio 2010 and 2012.

What do I lack? Someone can help me to start writing a program to use the Gpu?

Best Regards

• Re: How to start programming
          melonakos

Probably best to start with the OpenCL examples and adapt those to your own situation. Also, libraries like ArrayFire (which is the one I work on) can make it much easier to get good performance in just a few hours.

Good luck!

binghy

Hi melonakos,

I wrote my application on my AMD GPU but it still does not perform successfully (the aim is biting the same application running with SIMD+OpenMP in terms of time consumption). So recently I gave a look to ArrayFire, and maybe could be an option. Honestly, I have some problems understanding how to merge it with OpenCL, in the sense of creating context, adding devices, memory objs, executing kernels and so on (since this is the way I learned for communicating with an external device and adding work). Is there an available guide/examples to drive the user step by step configuring the environment and adding kernels to the device, showing on a side how it could be written using only OpenCL and on the other side using OpenCL+ArrayFire?

Thank you for the attention.

Regards,

Marco

himanshu.gautam

In case you are interested in learning OpenCL, i would recommend to start at http://developer.amd.com/tools/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

Read the documentations, install the SDK, and learn from samples.

Also there are some highly optimized libraries like clAmdBlas and clAmdfft available from AMD, for AMD GPUs.