AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unable to install the amd driver correctly

Question asked by mannerov on Jan 19, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 by straxy

Hello,

I have a i5 hd4000 graphics and a amd hd7730m and I run Kubuntu 12.10 (64bits system)

I did several tries to install the 12.11 beta drivers, but I didn't worked.

I did the same with 13.01, but I have the same issues.

The issues I have:

I build the .deb:

sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal

Then I install them:

sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

That gives:

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx.

(Reading database ... 172779 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking fglrx (from fglrx_9.012-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-amdcccle.

Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle (from fglrx-amdcccle_9.012-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-dev.

Unpacking fglrx-dev (from fglrx-dev_9.012-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...

Setting up fglrx (2:9.012-0ubuntu1) ...

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Loading new fglrx-9.012 DKMS files...

First Installation: checking all kernels...

Building only for 3.5.0-22-generic

Building for architecture x86_64

Building initial module for 3.5.0-22-generic

kbuildsycoca4 running...

Done.

fglrx:

Running module version sanity check.

- Original module

- No original module exists within this kernel

- Installation

- Installing to /lib/modules/3.5.0-22-generic/updates/dkms/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

Setting up fglrx-amdcccle (2:9.012-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up fglrx-dev (2:9.012-0ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-22-generic

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Everythin seems ok, except:

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

I then run sudo amdconfig --initial -f

Uninitialised file found, configuring.

PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx:

update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-9

Then I tries to launch amdcccle, but it won't, saying my driver is not correctly installed.

I think I should restart my computer. I do, but the X server is unable to launch, I have to delete xorg.conf to launch my computer.

I then try to uninstall the amd driver,

sudo amdconfig --uninstall says:

Uninstaller for AMD Catalyst (TM) Proprietary Driver, /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh, does not exist or cannot be found.

I then remove the .deb packages

Removing fglrx-amdcccle ...

Removing fglrx-dev ...

Removing fglrx ...

Removing all DKMS Modules

Done.

update-alternatives: removing manually selected alternative - switching x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf to auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/pxpress/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdcccle because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdcccle (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdcccle.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdcccle.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdccclesu.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdccclesu.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdxdg-su because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdxdg-su (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link

update-alternatives: removing manually selected alternative - switching i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf to auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/pxpress/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-22-generic

kbuildsycoca4 running...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Even after the deinstallation, there is something broken:

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf

There is only one alternative in link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf (providing /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf): /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf

Nothing to configure.

update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

I hope these details will help you to fix the drivers. I saw on the net that many people have similar issues.

Outcomes