12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 9:09 PM by siavash

I Have NO Reason to Continue With AMD!!!

edelicio

I own a 5750.

It has worked well in Windows.

It does NOT work well in Linux and/or Steam.

Will I spend $300 - 500 on a new AMD card???

Probably not.

E.D'

• Re: I Have NO Reason to Continue With AMD!!!
          sungin

yes we want stable release like windows does.linux has changed completely.market share under 6% and still going  

• I Have NO Reason to Continue With AMD!!!
            nou

what exactly doesn't work? do you have installed proper driver? sorry but this is just some random rant.

demcode

Legacy driver work buggy or don't work properly (maybe amd have lazy driver developers). Users buy video card not only as hardware, it must include working drivers. For now drivers don't work properly -> not work hardware. Why i'am buy ati videocard. I hate amd for this, scammers, only take money and not give real support.

mattyy1hp

I agree. Same here. I have APU+GPU (AMD Dual Graphics).

I never saw worse support. This is worse, than terrible. AMD, if you can't support your products, please, don't sell them! I using Linux for more, than 4 years, still no change, no support.

AMD Radeon HD 6520G:

- very slow performance comparing to Windows

- vSync don't work

- fullscreen games don't work (black screen, I have to play in windowed mode) (12.11 beta11 only)

AMD Radeon HD 6470M:

- very slow performance comparing to Windows

- vSync don't work

- I have invisible line in the middle of screen - top part is rendered slower, than the bottom one (WTF!?)

- beta11 shows 7400M series (12.11 beta11 only)

6520G + 6470M (Dual graphics):

- absolutely no support

Question 1:

What I get, if I will buy AMD graphics card?

Answer: 20 times worse performance, than graphics card have

Question 2:

What I get, if I will buy nVidia graphics card?

Answer: Real performance of the graphics card and great support

Question 3:

Will AMD support us better in future?

Answer: No. They are bribed by Microsoft to sabotage playing on Linux.

Solution:

Don't buy AMD.

aantony

Same here, I will buy only Nvidia cards, this is my last AMD.

Your drivers for Linux are really bad and I can't see improvements over years.

I have an HD 6870, but my next video card will not be AMD.

acidphase

I just made a post this morning in response to a post that was made last year in reference to Crossfire support under Linux.

AMD Needs to step up their game in the Linux realm not just with their card but their CPU's as well for now we will stick with the current beef which is video drivers.

When making a complaint you guys have to provide more information though, you can't just go on to developers forum and blast them this never resolves anything. Keep in mind they take orders from their boss just like you do.

The catalyst drivers being released has always had it's share of issues.

1.  Crossfire support is very bad and lousy with practically no documentation on how to implement it properly.

- I have yet seen anything more than 2 cards work in Crossfire mode, more specifically TRI-Fire it's been

nearly 2 years I have been messing with it to no avail. Crossfire was introduced in 2008 in Linux 5 years

later we pretty much are in the same spot as then.

2. I see allot of people with APU and Discreet graphics pulling their hair out with every driver release with a array

of issues to flat out just not working.

3. Performance issues are endless especially when compared to their Competition (Nvidia) with that said I don't under- stand why AMD would just concede 10% of the market to Nvidia as the majority of Linux users go Nvidia for this reason. I for one will most likely be joining the ranks on my next build, 2 years is more than ample to allow a company to address issues.

4. The Catalyst Control center really lacks in the Linux version, now I'm very fond of command line configuration but come on already. Information half the time is wrong which might have something to do with their drivers. I have 3 GPU's in my system but for some reason the CCCLE only see's one of them and not the proper VRAM quantity of the entire card.

5. Windows 8 turned off allot of people which brought Linux allot more attention forcing some people to look for a modern alternative as Linux is constantly making progress in leaps and bounds. Blizzard taking a closer look at Linux now for a possible native game release under the Linux OS.

I don;t have to bring up valve I don't think you have section dedicated to steam right on this very Forum they have been aggressively working with Linux including employing new developers just to deal with it.

I will close with the fact that I have been using AMD since the K6 processors sadly after 15+ years unless something changes quickly and drastically I will be switching to an Intel/Nvidia setup. Also I would like to point out that the issues don't just end in Linux as they carry over into Windows as well like with my FX-8150 with things like core parking and thread scheduling is just horrible performance under windows 7 compared to their competition.

People are allot more aware and tech savvy these days and the gaming industry is a good portion of AMD's bread and butter. I like AMD I always have but something has to budge.

siavash

acidphase wrote:

When making a complaint you guys have to provide more information though, you can't just go on to developers forum and blast them this never resolves anything. Keep in mind they take orders from their boss just like you do.

Providing information wouldn't solve anything too. Do you think they will seriously go through installing same setup as different users with a lot of different GPU/WM/DE/Driver/Kernel versions just to test and solve the problem with their small Linux man power?

What developers really need are some kind of debug symbols and backtrace to guide them, but that will never happen too because of closed source binary blob nature of proprietary drivers. Look at this thread ( Cubemen segfault in fglrx_dri.so ), how much this backtrace full of ??? inside binary blob will be useful?

acidphase wrote:

3. Performance issues are endless especially when compared to their Competition (Nvidia) with that said I don't under- stand why AMD would just concede 10% of the market to Nvidia as the majority of Linux users go Nvidia for this reason. I for one will most likely be joining the ranks on my next build, 2 years is more than ample to allow a company to address issues.

Who cares? They are just 10% of market. And people using legacy cards (RadeonHD234K) are less than 4% of market, let's ignore them all.

acidphase wrote:

5. Windows 8 turned off allot of people which brought Linux allot more attention forcing some people to look for a modern alternative as Linux is constantly making progress in leaps and bounds.

I think this is just a dirty business to push forward Windows8 and DirectX11 cards, while still Windows7 and older cards are kicking some major ***. Seriously how many of games out there are fully utilizing DX11 features, or DX11 cards which are capable to run those games with an acceptable frame rates?

I'm glad I didn't repeat same mistake while selecting CPU, and went with an Intel CPU. Next time I'm seriously going with a NVIDIA GPU, tired of begging for working drivers.