14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 4:00 AM by davetb

OpenGL issues with the latest HD Radeon 4xxx drivers

gwathdring

I don't see any posts yet, so I guess I'll start. Let me know if I'm supposed to do things differently, as I'm new to this community.

There appears to be an ongoing issue with Steam for Linux for users of the most recent HD Radeon drivers for 4xxx cards. As I've already explained my situation in the Steam forums, I'll repeat my post from there. The context is a almost-fresh install of 12.04 with the FGLRX drivers pulled from Jockey installed successfully. Using these drivers, I received some OpenGL related errors (repeated below) while trying to run Team Fortress 2 as part of Steam's linux beta. A few individuals had success using drivers straight from the AMD website instead, so here's what I tried next:

I did a robust purge/unistall of the drivers:

$ sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

And then I followed the instructions here for 12.04 using the latest driver available for my card (which is packaged as catalyst 12.6). The driver seemed properly installed, and I was able to run Catalyst properly upon restarting. Native linux 3D applications ran perfectly, as well.

Running Steam from the command line caused a bunch of break-pad exception messages (which are likely unrelated), the normal licensing calls, and something about "# orphaned  pipes" (that number changes from time to time). When I run TF2 from the gui, the following messages appear in the Terminal:

Game update: AppID 440 "Team Fortress 2", ProcID 2352, IP 0.0.0.0:0

ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/jon/.steam/bin32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/jon/strstr.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'

roaming config store 2 saved successfully

SDL video target is 'x11'

SDL video target is 'x11'

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_object.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_fence.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NV_fence.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_sync.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_draw_buffers2.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_bindable_uniform.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_map_buffer_range.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_occlusion_query.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_texture_range.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_client_storage.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_uniform_buffer.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_framebuffer_object.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_GREMEDY_string_marker.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_debug_output.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_direct_state_access.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NV_bindless_texture.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_AMD_pinned_memory.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ATI_meminfo.

This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc.

This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear.

GL_NV_bindless_texture: DISABLED

GL_AMD_pinned_memory: DISABLED

GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode: NOT AVAILABLE

Required OpenGL extension "GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode" is not supported. Please update your OpenGL driver.

Game removed: AppID 440 "Team Fortress 2", ProcID 2352

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'

roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Beyond that, I've tried a workaround detailed here, with no success. It is possible that something is wrong with my Driver install since I've installed and uninstalled the FGLRX drivers multiple times (as described). According to Catalyst, here's my setup:

Bios:

Date: 04/17/09,12:12:44

Version: 011.021.000.007.032787

Part Number: BR32787-001

Software:

Driver Packaging Version: 8.97.100.3-12070a-143048C-ATI

2D Driver Version: 8.96.4

Catalyst Control Center Version 2.14

RandR Version: 1.3

OpenGl Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

OpenGL Version: 3.3.11627 Compatability Profile Context

I'm rather perplexed by the "CCC version 2.14" bit, as I installed the driver from a package labeled Catalyst 12.6 found using the AMD online driver-pickeer for a Radeon HD 4570 and 64-bit Linux.

Uname -a gives me :

Linux Menbethrim 3.2.0-34-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 10:48:16 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

More users with similar issues can be found here: here.