cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

icosahedron
Journeyman III

AMD platform choice with regards to DoublePrecision computing.

Hello,

I nearly bought a laptop with A8-3500M + Radeon 6650M, but with a stroke of luck i was allowed to plug my drive into it for test and i was surprised to find that there was no double precision available on either APU or GPU chip. I searched a little and found that APU are not to be fitted with double precision circuits.

The next choice is A10-4600M + Radeon 7970M, but i couldn't find anything specific about Radeon 7970M int terms of SP/DP math. Does anyone know, or even better verified by hand that this platform will allow me DP computings ?

Greetings,

icosahedron

0 Likes
2 Replies
rahulgarg
Adept II

Actually AFAIK the A10-4600M does do double-precision. The previous generation (Llano series, i.e. 3000 series APUs) did not do double-precision but the new Trinity series does double-precision at 1/16th the speed of single-precision.

As for Radeon 7970M, it does do double precision. Specifications (http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/7000m/7900m/Pages/radeon-7900m-series.aspx#2) the peak is 136 GFlops for double-precision for 7970M.

0 Likes

Obviously i didn't research 7970M enough, but the information on A10-4600M is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

0 Likes