AnsweredAssumed Answered

ATI-x800-Pro/GTO GPU-SM3 Support / Not Compatibility

Question asked by autoplay on Nov 21, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 26, 2012 by yurtesen

I purchased an ATI-x800-Pro/GTO-256MB back in 2005-6 because it mentioned on the box it had support for the newer SM3 functionality, and now years later when I really need that support - I find it is very limited and lacking in functionality, simply because the instruction cache is too small to hold the larger sequences most SM3 enhanced materials use in current day applications.

So, my question is this:

~ IDEA: Are the developer tools for the Radeon Series of ATI GPU's capable of compiling a 'Cache Execution Controller'  to use a few registers or a few bytes in the GPU instruction cache to be used as 'Jump Vectors' if you will, to enable a 'CEC' type extension - that could use the rest of the cache as an execution unit, and swap out instructions as needed to enable larger sequences to be executed?

And if so, then updating my driver software with a 'wrapper' such as this would enable the use of many newer applications that could take advantage of large shader material enabled functions.

Or even use some type of tokenization? As I'm sure is already in use in some form or other for compression to utilize and optimize the use of cache.

I would hate to have to switch to another card or brand just yet, that has large instruction caches to deal with the larger material shaders currently in use.

As I've grown accustomed to my $400+ ATI Radeon!

Edited by: Me

Outcomes