cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

Catalyst 12.4 does not install on Fedora 16 - 3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64

Do you also have this problem or is it me?

AMD kernel module generator version 2.1

doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher

rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers

make -C /lib/modules/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64'

CC   /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o

CC   /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o

In file included from /usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:575:0,

from include/asm-generic/termios.h:51,

from /usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/termios.h:1,

from include/linux/termios.h:5,

from include/linux/tty.h:41,

from include/linux/vt_kern.h:11,

from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:35:

/usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess_64.h: In function ‘copy_from_user’:

/usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess_64.h:57:7: error: called object ‘2’ is not a function

make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64'

make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2

build failed with return value 2

[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

[Reboot] Kernel Module : dracut

0 Likes
4 Replies
kcarney
Staff

Hello!

Per the Catalyst QA team, Fedora is considered a Tier 2 distro -- which means it's not QA'd & AMD may release updates to support the distro in the future.

OpenSuse & Red Hat are Tier I distros. And 1 user reported that he got Catalyst 12.4 to install on Ubuntu 12 Precise here: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1280766#1280766

Also note that the AMD Catalyst specific forum is here: http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=428&entercat=y--which is another good source of information about Catalyst releases.

Complete this survey to tell the Catalyst team that you want Fedora support for Catalyst 12.4: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

Cheers!

Kristen

Well, at least your APP-SDK is supporting Ubuntu, so it would be stupid if Catalyst does not support it (since you couldnt run OpenCL programs eh?

I was the one who installed the drivers on Ubuntu, luckily Ubuntu is not changing kernels so often so it appears to be more stable. (you linked my own post hehe)

But in the end of the day, Nvidia users are enjoying running GPGPU applications on their Fedora workstations. You can imagine how this will impact feelings of people against AMD, who is trying to enter a market dominated by Nvidia solely because of the quality of the software/ Nvidia provides.  AMD products may be faster, but if they dont work properly then they are useless. I informed the problem, it is up to AMD to do something about it...

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply...

0 Likes
settle
Challenger

To get catalyst 12.4 on Fedora 16 to install, you first need to comment out a couple lines in /usr/src/kernels/3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess_64.h (somewhere around line 57, comment out

#ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_VM

else

WARN(1, "Buffer overflow detected!\n");

#endif

Otherwise, try the catalyst 12.6beta and it should work without any modifications.

Thanks, but this happened nearly every few weeks and I need a more dependable operating system. It is not only AMD drivers which get broken with updates... often something else breaks, they fix it, it breaks again etc. one day it is NIS, the other day wireless, other day raid, next week amd radeon drivers again and again... I needed a permanent solution which wont break something with every update.

0 Likes