4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 3:33 PM by fswehosky

Unable to open the events file: -events.xml

alex@naixela.com

I'm using the latest CodeAnalyst 64-bit version for Windows (CodeAnalyst_Public_3.6.1197.1031_x64.exe), with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 on Windows 7 Pro SP1. Whenever I create a new CodeAnalyst project and attempt to set the "Session Settings", I get this error:

"Unable to open the events file: -events.xml"

After closing the error dialog, the Session Settings dialog is completely empty and any attempts at profiling give unusable results (I think it just does a general system-wide profile with no data for my app). I have this problem on both my personal machine at home (Xeon equivalent to Core i7 920) and one of the machines at work (Xeon W3670). Another nearly identical machine at work with the same CPU is able to run CodeAnalyst with no problems.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling CodeAnalyst a few times. The machine at work is a fairly fresh install of Windows (less than two weeks old). I'm pretty sure I've run older (as in, over a year ago) versions of CodeAnalyst on the machine at home with no problems.

I found this thread:

http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/118164

But none of the suggestions in there helped. The registry keys appear to be set correctly.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Re: Unable to open the events file: -events.xml
          dragosd

I solved by monitoring the CodeAnalyst.exe using procmon from sysinternals.

It tries to open a file called -events.xml from the profiling project temporary directory.

I solved it by copy-paste C:\Program Files\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\events\GH-events.xml to temporary directory i.e.

C:\Users\dragosd\AppData\Roaming\AMD\CodeAnalyst\XXX where XXX is the name of the project and renamed the "GH-events.xml" to "-events.xml".

For the command line tool caprofile.exe you must copy paste the "GH-events.xml" to C:\Users\XXX where XXX is the name of the current user and rename it to "-events.xml".

After that you can create a profile session.

alex@naixela.com

Thank you! I was able to copy "GH-events.xml" as "-events.xml" into the same directory as my .caw file. Now, I seem to be able to use the stand-alone CodeAnalyst GUI. However, I couldn't figure out an appropriate location to stick the file in order to get Visual Studio-integrated profiling to work (I still get the same error when trying to launch from inside VS).

AMD - any chance of getting this fixed? I've been using CodeAnalyst a long time and this is a real show-stopper that has hit 4 separate machines I work on now. Pretty much every new machine I install the latest version on becomes unable to run it.

c-horse

On Visual Studio 2010 running on 64-bit Windows 7, copy the ~events.xml file to \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\

For other versions you can probably figure it out with the aid of procmon

-- Fred

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hi guys,

As per the linked thread, on a 64-bit system, the registry key path should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AMD\CodeAnalyst\Key

For the latest version, there should be key named "InstallDir" REG_SZ, with a string like "C:\Program Files\AMD\CodeAnalyst\".

In this case, the directory holding the event files should be in C:\Program Files\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\events.

You're right that we don't have a default events file for non-AMD systems.  That will be rectified in the next release.

As a work-around until then, you could buy and AMD system. 

Thanks,

-=Frank

1 of 1 people found this helpful