5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 11:13 AM by fswehosky

CodeAnalyst Missing GPU Utilization Timeline

johnk98707

Our Win7 system (64bit) has the latest setup of CodeAnalyst_Public_3.5.1116.0890_x64.exe and VStudio2008.

The Nbody was compiled based on the procedures provided in the CodeAnalyst help document. However, when we finished the time-based profile on the released exe file by codeanalyst, the GPU Utilization timeline is missing. Only CPU and Memory timeline are shown. Have I missed something?

Thanks a lot!

• Re: CodeAnalyst Missing GPU Utilization Timeline

Hello,

Do you have a GPU device that can use OpenCL?  If you expand the OpenCL process on the Overview tab, and click the [View Kernel Execution Summary] link, in the "OpenCL Device Info" window below the summary, is there a "CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU" entry?  It may be that the OpenCL is just running on your CPU.

Thanks,

-=Frank

johnk98707

Hi Frank:

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Yes, I do have a GPU (HD5670) on board. The N-body application is compiled by using VStudio2008 (following the exact steps from CodeAnalyst User's Manual).

However, I can't see the info you mentioned "OpenCL Device Info", I can't find "CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU" entry , either. I am sure I ran the app on the GPU. The argument of "--device gpu" is specified in the CodeAnalyst.

Moreover, The AMD APP Profiler is also installed. I can do the profile run through the Visual Studio2008 integrated windows and see all the info from GPU.

My question is why I can not see the GPU summary and the timeline from CodeAnalyst? Is there a bug or setup steps that I missed?

Thank you very much for your help! Appreciate!

To my knowledge, not all GPUs are able to run OpenCL kernels.  Please run "clinfo" from the command line and see if there are any "CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU"s reported.  When you run nbody.exe from the command line, do you see the phrase "GPU not found. Falling back to CPU device"?

When you said:

Moreover, The AMD APP Profiler is also installed. I can do the profile run through the Visual Studio2008 integrated windows and see all the info from GPU.

What do you mean by "see all the info from GPU"?

My question is why I can not see the GPU summary and the timeline from CodeAnalyst? Is there a bug or setup steps that I missed?

If there isn't an applicable OpenCL GPU device, then that particular chart isn't shown in CodeAnalyst's timeline.  Is the rest of the OpenCL information available, like the API Trace chart in the timeline, kernel execution and data transfer queues, and the API call details?

Thanks,

-=Frank

johnk98707

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much again for your comments. The information generated by "clinfo" is attached.

I did NOT see the phrase "GPU not found. Falling back to CPU device"?

I did not see any GPU info from the overview page in CodeAnalyst under Utilization section other than "Avg System CPU Utilization", "Avg System Utilization" and " Avg Process Utilization (PID:4468).

However, in the APP Profiler Section Explorer, I can see Section1- Application Trace and Section2-GPU Performance Counters. When I click on the Application Trace, I can see the window in my right-hand side showing OenCL and Host timelines. Under OpenCL, I can observe the Data Transfer and Kernel Execution timelines for queue0.

Thanks!

C:\>clinfo

Number of platforms:                             1

Platform Profile:                              FULL_PROFILE

Platform Version:                              OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP (898.1)

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Platform Vendor:                               Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Platform Extensions:                           cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_khr_d3d10_sharing

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Number of devices:                               2

Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU

Device ID:                                     4098

Board name:                                    ATI Radeon HD 5670

Max compute units:                             5

Max work items dimensions:                     3

Max work items[0]:                           256

Max work items[1]:                           256

Max work items[2]:                           256

Max work group size:                           256