5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 11:41 AM by fswehosky

CodeAnalyst install for OpenCL

antyang

Hello,

I am a master student in Taiwan.

I am interesting in OpenCL, so I already install OpenCL in my computer

And I am sure I can run OpenCL code in VS2010.

I use HD5870 GPU, Windows 7 and VS2010.

And I use AMD Catalyst Driver 12.2 and AMD APP SDK 2.6.

When I install CodeAnalyst 3.5 has no any error message like the install step.

But I try to do the analysis with Time-based profile, I can not find the OpenCL summary result like the AMD's Document.

Can I ask about what can I do the setting or maybe what I miss can find it and I can find the OpneCL Summary.

Thanks.

• Re: CodeAnalyst install for OpenCL

Hello Antyang,

CodeAnalyst uses the environmental variable CL_AGENT to communicate to the OpenCL application, and save information from it.  Do you launch your OpenCL application from CodeAnalyst or Visual Studio when you start the profile?  Are you running on a 32-bit or 64-bit system?

Thanks,

-=Frank

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              antyang

Hello,

My system is used Windows 7 64-bit , AMD Catalyst Driver 12.2 64-bit, AMD APP SDK 2.6 64-bit, CodeAnalyst 3.5 64-bit.

I try to set windows 7 Environment variable in set CL_AGENT=C:\Program Files\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\oclProfAgent64.dll

And also set CodeAnalyst ->Session Setting -> Environment variable in set CL_AGENT=C:\Program Files\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\oclProfAgent64.dll

I try my OpenCL application from CodeAnalyst and VS2010 all can't find OpenCL Summary.

Can I ask what I can check some another place or maybe I miss something.

For CodeAnalyst 3.5, to the best of my knowledge, we install by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CodeAnalyst.  That path might be the issue.  If your OpenCL application is 32-bit, you could also try changing the agent to "oclProfAgent32.dll".

A way to check if the agent has hooked into the OpenCL runtime correctly is to check your %TEMP% directory for a subdirectory of the OpenCL process id, containing a file named <process id>.oclt.

Thanks,

-=Frank

antyang

Hello,

Thanks a lot for help me find the OpenCL Summary in CodeAnalyst.

I remove all and install again ,and try to notice all PATH in install.

And also add again in windows 7 Environment variable in set CL_AGENT=C:\Program Files\AMD\CodeAnalyst\bin\oclProfAgent64.dll.

Now my CodeAnayst can find OpenCL Summary in Visual Studio 2010.

And can find the .oclt in subdirectory.

But when I test my code and AMD sample code, I find some problem.

In View OpenCL Timeline only CPU and memory has the result,another like GPU and API Trace always empty.

And I try to see View Kernel Excution Summary and View Data Transfer Summary alwaws 0.

And I find in OpenCL API Summary always only has clGetDeviceInfo, clGetDeviceIDs and clGetPlatformInfo.

Can I ask how if I want to analysis like cpu and gpu timeline and see the another function in OpenCL API Summary ,where can I try to set or maybe I also miss something. 

I'm not quite sure what would cause a display that you're reporting.

Let's go with an example provided by the AMD OpenCL SDK: MatrixMultiplication.

When you launch the <user path>\Documents\AMD APP\samples\opencl\bin\x86_64\MatrixMultiplication.exe with the arguments "--device cpu -x 1000 -y 1000 -i 10", can you see OpenCL information in CodeAnalyst?

Thanks,

-=Frank