AnsweredAssumed Answered

2x AMD Radeon HD 7950 in Linux

Question asked by settle on Mar 9, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 by goddard

I'm getting some strange behavior with the new system I just built.  I've narrowed it down to exactly the GPUs by swapping them out with an older ATI Radeon HD 5970.

So here's the walk through.  Clean install of CentOS 6.2 x86_64 (also tried OpenSUSE 12.1 and Fedora 16, but figured the best support out of these three would be CentOS).  I could install with the 7950s in the machine, but to boot I had to use the 5970.  So using the 5970 I update all the packages, install kernel-devel, gcc, gcc-c++, and gcc-gfortran.  Restart, then install the AMD Catalyst 12.2 linux driver.  Reboot and the system works like a charm.  Poweroff and swap back in the 7950s.  Boot it up and even before the login screen the kernel panics (see pictures below).

2012-03-08_20-43-41_831.jpg

2012-03-09_20-04-20_618.jpg

So I booted up using the install DVD and went in the recovery mode, updated the xorg.conf file for each device to reflect their PCI bus numbers (which I got from "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA").  Rebooted and still no luck.  I kept rebooting and after the sixth or so time things actually went well, but after another reboot things panicked again and again.

Please help with tips or suggestions.  I only have one monitor attached to the primary (or master if you prefer) GPU.  Could this be related to using those Crossfire connectors (I have two connectors attached between the two GPUs)?  An improper xorg.conf (although I've using similar ones for other dual graphics configurations)?  I tried the xorg.conf as shown below, both with things commented as shown and uncommented.

And should Crossfire be enabled or disabled if I want to develop and run OpenCL programs?  When Crossfire is disabled I can only get one GPU to appear in clinfo.

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier    "ServerLayout0"

Screen 0    "Screen0" 0 0

#    Screen 1    "Screen1" 0 0

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier    "Monitor0"

Option        "DPMS" "true"

EndSection

#Section "Monitor"

#    Identifier    "Monitor1"

#    Option        "DPMS" "true"