Bdot

Kernel compiler problems in 11.10 - and cannot get rid of it

Discussion created by Bdot on Nov 14, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 by himanshu.gautam

Windows 7-64, Phenom x4-955, HD 5770, APP SDK 2.5

After upgrading from 11.9 to 11.10 my kernels are not compiled anymore:

BUILD OUTPUT C:\Users\root\AppData\Local\Temp\OCLCEF5.tmp.cl(2192): error: more than one instance of overloaded function "mad24" matches the argument list: function "mad24(int, int, int) C++" function "mad24(uint, uint, uint) C++" argument types are: (uint, int, uint) *res_hi = mad24(mul_hi(a,b), 256, (*res_lo >> 24)); ^ ...

While this is rather easy to solve (change 256 to 256u), most of the compiled kernels now do not receive one of their parameters, a struct of 6 uints. Consequently, they produce bad results.

Now the really weird part: I cannot get rid of the 11.10 bugs. I uninstalled Catalyst 11.10 (along with APP SDK) and installed 11.9 (with and without prior reboot) - both the typed constant as well as the missing parameter problems remain.

I tried uninstalling catalyst, uninstalling the Graphics card from device manager (including deletion of driver files), deleting all files starting with ati from \windows\system32 and the wow6432... subdir, removing ATI* and AMD directories from users and program files and removing all registry keys mentioning AMD or ATI. Reboot, install 11.9 and both problems are back.

And finally, I installed a new Windows 7-64 copy in another partition, installed 11.9 from the same download, and voila, now my program runs fine, even without the 256 ->256u change.

Question 1: On my original installation, where is 11.10 hiding to make Catalyst 11.9 fail as well? APP SDK does not seem to be required anymore ... would installing 2.5 help?

Question 2: Any suggestion what I could try to get all my parameters delivered to the kernel?

Thanks for any help. I already spent so much time on this ... and am starting to feel a little frustrated :P

Outcomes