4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 1:59 PM by los

ACML and WRF

los

Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible to link ACML to the wrf binaries, I've tried following the instructions in the user's guide but I've no success. Anyone has done this yet?

Anyhelp would be appreciated

Thanks

Carlos

• ACML and WRF
          chipf

Can you provide more information about what is working?

At least some parts of WRF do require a LAPACK and BLAS library, and the default makefile uses the netlib versions for these.  It should be relatively easy to override those makefile statements to use ACML instead.  You would then need to rebuild the binary from the source. 

• ACML and WRF
              los

I guess I expressed myself wrong, I tried to build WRF linking the ACML libraries but it just doesn't compile and I don't know the reason. WRF comes with a configure file and what I did is adding the -L/path/to/ACML to the external libraries and the includes. Maybe the problem is that I'm not taking out the include for the other math library. But I don't know how to do that.

Could you be more specific about what information do I need to provide you?

Thanks a lot,

Carlos

• ACML and WRF
                  chipf

Carlos,

I had typed up a reply but it didn't post for for some reason, now I'll try to reconstruct it, but I'll start by saying we don't have much experience with WRF and haven't linked ACML with it.  We have linked the libm code with it when using the Open64 compiler.

It doesn't seem that the main WRF code uses lapack or blas.  There is a fft package included, and this would require some amount of porting to use the ACML ffts instead.  The WRFDA package does include variants of the netlib lapack and blas routines.  If these are heavily used by your workloads, then it would be worth trying to link in ACML.  The makefiles in WRFDA are not setup to easily link in other libraries, there are -lblas and -llapack references in some of them, and the configure step didn't seem to search for libraries.   To use ACML instead, you should remove the blas and lapack references and replace them with libacml.a (we recommend using the static library).

There wasn't much help on the WRF forums, but that might be a good place to ask the question.  This lets the WRF maintainers know that people would like to use tuned blas/lapack libraries.

• ACML and WRF
                      los

About open64 I got really frustrated because even when the people from help desk were wiling to help me. I couldn't make it work. Maybe I  need more knowledge of all the computing world before trying to do something different than the stuff released from NCAR.

I thought it would be easier to link ACML to the fft package from NCAR but I guess it is not, by the moment I'm not using WRFDA.

Anyway I will keep doing some experiments and see if I can finally get WRF or WRF/chem compiled with open64 at least. I'm sure it will improve the performance of the server (Dell R715).

Thanks

Carlos