Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ochensati
Journeyman III

Workaround for 100% CPU problem

clEnqueueNDRangeKernel locks up computer

I have two GPU cards in my machine.  I see from other forum posts that this can cause the problem that I am having.

I am trying to run a kernal on a large 3D volume.  When clEnqueueNDRangeKernel is called the computer will just die.  the mouse can barely move, I end up having to shut off the computer because the program will not shut down.

A.  Is there a way to get the program to close?

B.  Is there a way to prevent this problem, it does not happen with a 1D buffer.

Thanks for you help!

0 Likes
9 Replies
ochensati
Journeyman III

I should specify that this is with sdk 2.4

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: ochensati I have two GPU cards in my machine.  I see from other forum posts that this can cause the problem that I am having.

I am trying to run a kernal on a large 3D volume.  When clEnqueueNDRangeKernel is called the computer will just die.  the mouse can barely move, I end up having to shut off the computer because the program will not shut down.

A.  Is there a way to get the program to close?

B.  Is there a way to prevent this problem, it does not happen with a 1D buffer.

Thanks for you help!

Please try with SDK2.5 with latest driver.  Is it running on CPU?  

What is the approximate time required to complete kernel?

Please give us following informaiton 

OS, Driver version, CPU and GPU.

0 Likes

have you tried GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1 ?

0 Likes

I have to admit that I am new to GPU programming, so I will happily try GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS

I am working on Windows 7, firepro 8.85, I am using a duel xeon x5650, and the 2 GPUs are firepro v7800.

The kernal should be instantanious as it contains no code and is working on a volume that is 25x25x25.  The computer locks up for 15 to 20 minutes, when I restarted the computer.

I cannot install 2.5 as the link is broken for the 64 bit machine

__kernel void simpleFBP(__global float * output, __global float * input, const uint2 inputDimensions, const uint4 cubeDimensions) { uint tid = get_global_id(0); }

0 Likes

Originally posted by: ochensati I have to admit that I am new to GPU programming, so I will happily try GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS

I am working on Windows 7, firepro 8.85, I am using a duel xeon x5650, and the 2 GPUs are firepro v7800.

The kernal should be instantanious as it contains no code and is working on a volume that is 25x25x25.  The computer locks up for 15 to 20 minutes, when I restarted the computer.

I cannot install 2.5 as the link is broken for the 64 bit machine

I am able to download 64 bit package(http://download2-developer.amd.com/amd/APPSDK/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.5-Windows-64.exe)

Which browser are you using? I am using Google chrome.

0 Likes

Hmm,  your link works.

When I try from IE or firefox, the link just goes 404

http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPPSDK/downloads/Pages/default.aspx#one

0 Likes

Originally posted by: ochensati 

http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPPSDK/downloads/Pages/default.aspx#one

I am able to open this link also in IE8. What is the version of your internet explorer. 

0 Likes

ie 9

0 Likes

The link problem is no better for me, but

I have solved the locking the computer up problem by realizing that my third dimension was in the thousands instead of 32.  So this problem is fixed

0 Likes