cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

oscarbarenys1
Adept II

My vote for next supported OGL extensions on AMD cards..

Hi,

this is in my IMHO some features supported by Nvidia extensions on his cards that would be good to have on AMD even if exposing similar features with other new extensions..

(GL_NV_path_rendering) First is some form of accelerated path rendering, I know we have D2D but from own Nvidia benchmarks and already checked by me they seem to have in some cases more than 3-4X speedup by not layering on top of graphic APIs

(WGL_NV_DX_interop and WGL_NV_DX_interop2) Second is OGL-DX interop which would be good now that seems OGL ES 3.0 is around the corner and possibly new WebGL exposing it and while ANGLE won't capable of translating to DX10.x calls soon (i suppose) and Firefox and others use D3D/D2D for layer compositioning seems avoiding GPU communication (i.e. transfers via host) will require this interop..

third and last WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear seems to be for disabling vsync went the renderer isn't able to render at screen refresh rates..

I hope some guys at AMD OGL team think similar to me..

0 Likes
3 Replies

I join to a vote, especially for GL_EXT_path_rendering.

0 Likes

John Carmack made the comment that WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear will be supported by ATI and NVIDIA when RAGE launches as that game will be the first game to make use of it.

Something like setting wglSwapIntervalEXT to a negative number enables it. Someone might want to do a quick test to see if it is already in the ATI driver (but not advertised).

John also said Intel were also working on implementing it. So it should be standard by the end of the year.

0 Likes
oscarbarenys1
Adept II

I even forgot about NV bindless extensions (2 years old) which provide pointer like support in shaders.. perhaps even AMD current architectures can't work efficiently with that but coming soon core next I hope this extension can be exposed also on AMD OGL driver..

Does AmD have plans on supporting it soon (for next hardware)?

0 Likes