pbarham

Problems using CodeAnalyst API on Windows

Discussion created by pbarham on May 30, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 by pbarham

I'm trying to find the easiest way to record the HyperTransport Bandwidth counters while a multi-threaded process is running on my 48-core Magny-Cours Windows 2K8 server (64-bit).  I would like to be able to plot a graph of HT bandwidth on each link while the app is running, with say one data point every second.

I've tried to find a way to do this with CAProfile and the CA Gui .. but it doesn't seem to be possible.  

I just came across the CodeAnalyst API which looks promising.  It has the notion of 'Counters' which you can manually sample during a profiling run.

The documentation is pretty minimal (i.e. list of parameters), but as far as I can tell I need to call the following functions in this order:

1) fnEnableProfiling()

2) fnMakeProfileEvent(eventid, mask,  ... , true, &performanceEvent)

3) fnSetCountingEvent(core, counterid, EventConfiguration)

4) fnStartProfiling(false, NULL, NULL)

5)  while (!done)  fnGetEventCount(core, counterid, &count);

6) fnStopProfiling()

7) fnReleaseProfiling()

When I do this, all functions return S_OK, until I get to fnGetEventCount which  returns error 8000000a, "The profiler was not currently profiling"

If I add a call to fnGetProfilerState after step 4 it tells me the profiler is stopped, even though fnStartProfiling returned S_OK!

I've also tried coding this up using fnSetCountingConfiguration and fnGetAllEventCounts, but I get very similar errors.

Has anybody else managed to get this API to work?  Alternatively, could somebody please suggest a way to either debug this API or obtain the same data using the GUI or command line profiler?

Thanks,

Paul.

Outcomes