cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dr_jaymahdi
Journeyman III

Need help with writing to Buffer (Fundamental Question)

Receiving an "Invalid Memory Object" error

Hi everyone:

I posted this problem onto the Khronos Forum and since I am using ATI/AMD equiment, I am going to post it here as well.

I'm a new user of OpenCL and would like to ask the experts out there for your experience and advice on this question.

I am trying to write a 'struct' onto the device memory after the command "queue.enqueueWriteBuffer ( - - - )" but unfortunately I am receiving a "-38" error, which represents Invalid Memory Object.

I believe the 'struct' that I am using is padded to 8 bytes since I am only grouping two integer variables as shown below

As you can see, the kernel simply just takes the structure data from A and writes it to B. This is a simple exercise that I want to do if I wish to use structs in my OpenCL development -- which is very likely the case.

Also, below my code (removed any error messages in order to compress the size of this post) is the kernel and host code that I have developed.

Summary:

I created two test_structs of host_struct_in and host_struct_out, which the _in holds the input memory to the device, and _out holds the resulting data obtained from the GPU device memory respectively.

From thereafter, I created two buffers, device_buf_A and device_buf_B for host_struct_in and host_struct_out respectively. Both "sizeof"'s are the size of the struct.

In the comment "// I GET THE ERROR OVER HERE" is the location of where the queue.enqueueWriteBuffer command gave me the -38 error as invalid memory object. The code below that command is commented but "compile-able".

After scouring through a lot of boards and blogs, I am unfortunately at a loss of how to rectify this problem. I am wondering if someone be kind of enough in telling me what is the problem in my host / kernel code? I'm at a loss of where to look for my problem.

My system information is as follows:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1055T
Mem: 4GB DDR3 OCX
GPU: ATI FireStream 9270 (RV770 architecture)
SDK: ATI Stream SDK 2.3
Catalyst Version: 10.12

If someone can kindly please respond to my post, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and with best regards

////KERNEL CODE OVER HERE/////// struct __attribute__ ((packed)) test_struct { int A; int B; }; __kernel void second_cl (__global struct test_struct *a, __global struct test_struct *b) { int tid = get_global_id(0); b[tid].A = a[tid].A; b[tid].B = a[tid].B; } ////HOST CODE STARTS BELOW///// /////*********************************************************///// /////***** SOURCE FILE: simple_mem_write_read_struct.cpp *****///// /////*********************************************************///// #define __CL_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS #include <iostream> #include <string> #include <fstream> #include "CL/cl.hpp" using namespace std; struct test_struct { int A; int B; }; int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { cl::STRING_CLASS platformName, cl_program_name, cl_kernel_name; string K_FileName, kernel_name; cl::Device cl_device; // DEVICE IS GPU cl::Context cl_context; // CONTEXT IDENTIFIER (AMD + GPU) cl::Program::Sources cl_source; // SOURCE OF THE KERNEL cl::Program cl_program; // PROGRAM OBJECT cl::Kernel cl_kernel_program; // KERNEL PROGRAM OBJECT cl::Event event; // EVENT cl::CommandQueue queue; // COMMAND Q TO SUBMIT WORK TO THE GPU vector <cl::Platform> platformList; // PLATFORM LIST TO QUERY AMD PLATFORM vector <cl::Device> deviceList; // DEVICE LIST TO QUERY LIST OF GPU CARDS (only one is available) cl::Buffer device_buf_A, device_buf_B; // Create Buffer Memory test_struct *host_struct_in = new test_struct [1]; // HOST STRUCT OBJECT (FOR INPUT INTO GPU MEMORY) test_struct *host_struct_out = new test_struct [1]; // HOST STRUCT OBJECT (FOR OUTPUT FROM GPU MEMORY) // INITIALIZE RANDOM VALUES // host_struct_in[0].A = 10; host_struct_in[0].B = 100; if (argc == 1) { cerr << "----- ERROR! Please specify kernel -----" << endl; exit(1); } else { K_FileName = argv[1]; } // Initialize the CL_SOURCE OBJECT ifstream kernel_file (K_FileName.c_str()); string kernel_program (istreambuf_iterator<char>(kernel_file), (istreambuf_iterator<char>())); cl_source = cl::Program::Sources (1, make_pair(kernel_program.c_str(), kernel_program.length() + 1)); // cl_source TO SOURCE OF KERNEL try { cl::Platform::get(&platformList); cl_context_properties cprops[3] = {CL_CONTEXT_PLATFORM, (cl_context_properties)(platformList[0])(), 0}; // AUTOMATICALLY CHOOSE THE FIRST SINCE I'AM USING AMD cl_context = cl::Context (CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, cprops); platformList[0].getDevices(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, &deviceList); cl_device = deviceList[0]; // AUTOMATICALLY CHOOSE THE FIRST SINCE I ONLY HAVE ON GPU DEVICE cl_program = cl::Program (cl_context, cl_source); // cl_program to CL PROGRAM OBJECT vector <cl::Device> device_list; device_list.push_back(cl_device); // BUILD THE SIMPLE MEM WRITE/READ KERNEL try { cl_program.build(device_list); } catch (cl::Error& err) { cerr << "Build failed!" << err.what() << '(' << err.err() << ')' << endl; cerr << "Build log: " << endl << endl << cl_program.getBuildInfo<CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG>(device_list[0]); exit(1); } cout << "Build Success! "; kernel_name = K_FileName.substr(0, K_FileName.find(".cl", 0)); cl_kernel_program = cl::Kernel (cl_program, kernel_name.c_str()); // SET PRIVATE cl_kernel_program TO COMPILED KERNEL OBJECT cl_kernel_program.getInfo((cl_kernel_info)CL_KERNEL_FUNCTION_NAME, &cl_kernel_name); cout << "Kernal found: \'" << cl_kernel_name << "\'" << endl; // Initialize the command queue with the created context and device queue = cl::CommandQueue (cl_context, cl_device(), 0); // I GET THE ERROR OVER HERE queue.enqueueWriteBuffer (device_buf_A, CL_TRUE, 0, sizeof (test_struct) * 1, host_struct_in); // WRITE host_struct_in INTO device_buf_A memory /* cl_kernel_program.setArg(0, device_buf_A); cl_kernel_program.setArg(1, device_buf_B); queue.enqueueNDRangeKernel(cl_kernel_program, cl::NullRange, cl::NDRange(1), cl::NDRange(1,1), NULL, &event); // EXECUTE THE KERNEL event.wait(); queue.enqueueReadBuffer(device_buf_B, CL_TRUE, 0, sizeof (test_struct) * 1, host_struct_out); // READ device_buf_B and store it into host_struct_out host memory */ } catch (cl::Error &err) { cout << "----- ERROR: " << err.what() << " Code: " << err.err() << endl; } }

0 Likes
2 Replies

"cl::Buffer device_buf_A, device_buf_B;         // Create Buffer Memory"

See the header files for a description of the constructor for cl::Buffer.

Buffer(
        const Context& context,
        cl_mem_flags flags,
        ::size_t size,
        void* host_ptr = NULL,
        cl_int* err = NULL)
    {
        cl_int error;
        object_ = ::clCreateBuffer(context(), flags, size, host_ptr, &error);

detail::errHandler(error, __CREATE_BUFFER_ERR);
        if (err != NULL) {
            *err = error;
        }
    }

Jeff

0 Likes

Hi Jeff:

Thanks very much. I realized I forgot to initalize the buffer memory. Whoops!

best regards

0 Likes