Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

geebus
Journeyman III

atiocl.dll crashing in Windows 7 32-bit w/ 6950/6970

atiocl.dll crashing in Windows 7 32-bit w/ 6950/6970

Having a weird issue on all OpenCL applications (Folding@Home as well as OpenCL accelerated apps) using Stream SDK 2.3 and 10.12a Catalyst driver on Windows 7 32-bit...

It seems, whenever I'm running an OpenCL-based application and I also run Windows Media Player or YouTube (others I'm sure, but these every time) atiocl.dll will crash. However, Silverlight video seems to play fine (i.e. Netflix).

Is the 69xx (Cayman) series properly supported by Stream SDK ? Does any Catalyst driver work with it? (I've tried 10.12, 10.12a, and 11.1a)

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

geebus,

we have a caymen GPU working fine on a vista 64 system with latest SDK and drivers. Although a few driver level issues were reported with the NI series of cards. The release notes for 11.1 catalyst includes the 68xx and 69xx series of cards too. Have you tried them?

0 Likes

Yes, I've tried using the 11.1 (and 11.1a) drivers in conjunction with the Stream SDK 2.3 and I'm still seeing the issue.

For the sake of explaining the issue here, I need to detail how to replicate it.

Download: http://www.adderspace.com/bitcoin/poclbm.zip
It is a Python OpenCL Bitcoin Miner (for use with the Bitcoin digital currency - bitcoin.org)

Extract it to any folder and start poclbm.exe to retrieve a list of OpenCL compatible devices.

Edit 'run.bat' to change the device flag (-d 0) to reflect the device number for your Cayman card. (i.e. -d 1)

Run 'run.bat'.

Play any clips from Youtube, or xvid encoded AVI files in Windows Media Player. Watch as the desktop freezes... 

For the sake of testing, you can also start a large file transfer from your test PC to another, and initiate the freeze. The file will continue copying while the video is frozen. It is only the video output that is affected.

My CL kernel file is BitcoinMiner.cl in the zip file, poclbm.py is the options parser, and bitcoinminer.py is the actual engine.

It only requires that the Stream SDK is installed to run properly. It is all 32-bit code.

Is this a problem with my CL code? The driver? Stream SDK?

All of my crashes are on atiocl.dll.

0 Likes

well

i accept it.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: geebus Yes, I've tried using the 11.1 (and 11.1a) drivers in conjunction with the Stream SDK 2.3 and I'm still seeing the issue.

For the sake of explaining the issue here, I need to detail how to replicate it.

Download: http://www.adderspace.com/bitcoin/poclbm.zip It is a Python OpenCL Bitcoin Miner (for use with the Bitcoin digital currency - bitcoin.org)

Extract it to any folder and start poclbm.exe to retrieve a list of OpenCL compatible devices.

Edit 'run.bat' to change the device flag (-d 0) to reflect the device number for your Cayman card. (i.e. -d 1)

Run 'run.bat'.

Play any clips from Youtube, or xvid encoded AVI files in Windows Media Player. Watch as the desktop freezes... 

For the sake of testing, you can also start a large file transfer from your test PC to another, and initiate the freeze. The file will continue copying while the video is frozen. It is only the video output that is affected.

My CL kernel file is BitcoinMiner.cl in the zip file, poclbm.py is the options parser, and bitcoinminer.py is the actual engine.

It only requires that the Stream SDK is installed to run properly. It is all 32-bit code.

Is this a problem with my CL code? The driver? Stream SDK?

All of my crashes are on atiocl.dll.

Is it working on CPU?
0 Likes