Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

diepchess
Adept I

Unsupported hardware

hi,

I wonder whether the AMD-CAL functions ok. 

When i boot the box it says: "unsupported hardware and also an AMD logo gets shown".

What does it mean?

Secondly i compiled the CAL samples and when i execute them i get this:

the throughput program says something between 62GB/s and 64GB/s at the 256x. 

Does it mean it gets executed at the GPU?

When i run the ./OpenCloseDevice it says 

Target Device : Unknown

Is that good or is that bad news?

The system i have is a 4 socket AMD 8356 system with a tad of RAM and a Radeon HD 6970 from XFX manufacturing 

The current installation on the box was OpenSUSE 11.2 and that means that only ATI_Stream 2.2 was working on it.

The installed driver i tried to install (which probably failed considering the "unsupported hardware with AMD logo") 

ati-driver-installer-10-12-x86.x86_64.run

Thanks in Advance, 
Vincent
p.s. does the unsupported hardware thing disappear if i upgrade to 11.3 openSuse and 2.3 ATI stream?
This all was just a quick test to see whether it worked at all. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
nou
Exemplar

driver is installed and work somehow but you will must wait for proper support as 6970 is brand new. and yes you need upgrade SDK. not SUSE as AMD do not provide support for too new distro. so check if SUSE 11.3 is supported. (kernel and Xorg version)

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou driver is installed and work somehow but you will must wait for proper support as 6970 is brand new. and yes you need upgrade SDK. not SUSE as AMD do not provide support for too new distro. so check if SUSE 11.3 is supported. (kernel and Xorg version)

Thanks for your quick reaction!

Note this machine is for number crunching, not for playing videogames, so performance is most important. If by hammering hourly on the device the device gives 1% faster performance, then a guy with a hammer will hammer every hour onto the device.

I unzipped to SDK 2.3 and seems to go fine. That's great.

Obviously prefer to not upgrade the distro when can, just upgrading to latest ATI stream is very important.

CAL examples still work. OpenCL doesn't somehow, despite i have exported all the things ok. In short term that might not be a problem if CAL works very fast. In long term probably might need it.

Speaking of speed, 64GB/s at a device capable of a 150+ GB/s you can call at most 'encouraging', not spectacular.

The mainboard has a built in videocard, yet despite i didn't disable it, it grabs the 6970 card for output. 

Would it improve gpgpu performance if i take care the display is the built in nvidia thing (provided this is possible somehow). Would that work?

Thanks,

Vincent 

0 Likes