Natt

[SOLVED] How to install Python wrapper for OpenCL in Ubuntu

Discussion created by Natt on Nov 13, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 by Natt

Hi,

Dear devs, I need your help.

I have spent the day trying to install the ATI SDK in combination with the python bindings for OpenCL, ie. PyOpenCL, in order to do some simulations on a HD5870. I'm pretty sure I'll go crazy soon, but I will summarize my problems first.

Okay - first I tried win7-64bit to no avail. SDK installed neatly, but the python wrapper failed to import in my code.

Then I tried Ubuntu 10.10-32bit. Installed Catalyst driver through Administration>Hardware Drivers. Worked. Installed the SDK using this deb-package:

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=125792

(Thanks, Nou).  Then I got numpy and finally pyopencl through the software center. However pyopencl presented me with an error basically saying my package installer was now broken. I reinstalled and tried again. Same problem.

Then I tried Ubuntu 10.04. Did the same as above, but used the package from ppa:fajran/opencl as described on the PyOpenCL web page. That gave a similar problem as before: Error at end of installation, then I got a recommended update prompt for nVidia binary Xorg driver, and during install i got an error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-current_195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libOpenCL.so', which is also in package ati-opencl-runtime 0

And at this point I surrender and hoist the white flag...

Outcomes