6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 5:30 AM by himanshu.gautam

Seems OpenCL doesn't support Polymorphism?

edwen

In my Kernel file .cl, I define several functions with the same name, but have different numbers and types of parameters. The excecution always failed until I named those functions differently. Doesn't anyone have the same experience?

I wonder if OpenCL support "class" and "derived class", which are very popular in C++.

• Seems OpenCL doesn't support Polymorphism?
          mihzaha

OpenCL is based on C, not C++. It doesn't support polymorphism or classes, it's not object oriented.

Raistmer
            Originally posted by: edwen

In my Kernel file .cl, I define several functions with the same name, but have different numbers and types of parameters. The excecution always failed until I named those functions differently. Doesn't anyone have the same experience?

I wonder if OpenCL support "class" and "derived class", which are very popular in C++.

when you will bound OpenCL kernel with cl_kernel object in your C++ code you will provide only kernel name, not kernel name decorated with its parameters and return type.
            From this fact it's obvious that same kernel names will not go.
                bubu

Btw, I tried a custom mechanism ( ala GObject ) using C function pointers, but it neither supports them so it's impossible to get polymorphism, sorry.

On the other hand, I think you are referring to function parameter's overriding which is a completely different thing... but C does not support it, you must change the function's name.

Those things together with templates reminds me each day why C is really awful and why OpenCL 2.0 should support C++.