Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Meteorhead
Challenger

5970s, SDK 2.2, 10.7b driver not compatible

Hi!

I have explained in another topic that I had no issues using multigpu in the following setup:

Ubuntu 9.10, driver 10.4, SDK 2.1

However I have upgraded to the following:

Ubuntu 9.10, driver 10.7b, SDK 2.2

The driver is from the page that is pointed to from the SDK supported drivers list. I have 3 5970s in one machine and Xserver starts alright with 1 adapter configured. When I configure all adapters, it still works, but as soon as I pass the export DISPLAY=:0 to the .bashrc file, xserver fails to startup. (I have tried many permutations of

aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f  // export DISPLAY=:0  // startx

but none of them worked. Is there any way to get it working?

0 Likes
4 Replies
nou
Exemplar

what if you try export variable after xstart?

0 Likes

I configured one adapter to get xserver running (no export) from init1 (terminal). After I configured all adapters (still no export) from init7 (gui) and did a reboot. Xserver failed to get up even with this setup.

When password is entered on the login screen and xserver tries to initialize, it dies away and throws me back to the login screen.

After this I go back to init1, try to configure all adapters with exporting DISPLAY=:0 , and what happens is it throws me back to login screen (from init1!!). When I go back to shell I see the message was:

XIO : Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0" after 24 requests (23 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Is there really no convenient way to install drivers and get them working under linux? I know there are major efforts to make it as simple as possible, but this seems a little too defective.

0 Likes

I would even do a reinstall to Ubuntu 10.04 if somebody could assure me that it would work with that. I know that fglrx has gone through some changes in the near past and it works quite different on Ubuntu 9.10 ==> 10.04 and somewhere between fglrx 10.5 ==> 10.6 so it is natural in some way that things don't work first try, but I killed too much time into getting it working. Would it work under Ubuntu 10.04 with 10.7b drivers to have all 6 adapters working (again, as it was before)?

0 Likes
jgm77
Journeyman III

I'm having a similar issue with ATI Stream SDK 2.2 and the ati_catalyst_10.7b_opencl1.1_linux driver on a RHEL 5. (2.6.18-194.8.1.el5) host.

I have 2x HD 5970's (device id 689c) and they were working properly under the 2.1 SDK with the 10.4 drivers.

At the moment, neither CLInfo or FindNumDevices detect either of the GPUs.

I get the following:

# /opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.2-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64/FindNumDevices 

Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185

Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.739

Use -? for help

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

CAL initialized.

Finding out number of devices :- 

Device Count = 0

CAL shutdown successful.

I'm considering dropping back to 2.1 and waiting for an updated version.

# /opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.2-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64/FindNumDevices Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185 Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.739 Use -? for help Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key CAL initialized. Finding out number of devices :- Device Count = 0 CAL shutdown successful.

0 Likes