8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2010 3:39 AM by dar

OpenCL Tutorial:N-Body Simulation

AptypR

I tried to compile example,given in this(http://browndeertechnology.com/docs/BDT_OpenCL_Tutorial_NBody.html) article,but i just got error nbody_output.c:14: error: invalid operands to binary + (have ‘cl_float4’ and ‘cl_float4&rsquo
      nbody_output.c:16: error: invalid operands to binary / (have ‘cl_float4’ and ‘cl_float4&rsquo

nbody_output.c was changed a little,and now look like

/* nbody_output.c */ #include <stdio.h> #include <stdcl.h> void nbody_output( int n, cl_float4* pos ) { int i; cl_float4 ave_pos = (cl_float4){0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f}; for(i=0;i<n;i++) ave_pos+=pos[i]; ave_pos/=(cl_float4){n,n,n,n}; printf("ave_pos = {%e,%e,%e}\n", cl_float4_x(ave_pos),cl_float4_y(ave_pos),cl_float4_z(ave_pos) ); }

• OpenCL Tutorial:N-Body Simulation
          genaganna

Originally posted by: AptypR I tried to compile example,given in this(http://browndeertechnology.com/docs/BDT_OpenCL_Tutorial_NBody.html) article,but i just got error nbody_output.c:14: error: invalid operands to binary + (have ‘cl_float4’ and ‘cl_float4&rsquo nbody_output.c:16: error: invalid operands to binary / (have ‘cl_float4’ and ‘cl_float4&rsquo

Please check whether + and / operators supported on cl_float4 in stdcl.h or not.

dar

Originally posted by: genaganna
              Originally posted by: AptypR I tried to compile example,given in this(http://browndeertechnology.com/docs/BDT_OpenCL_Tutorial_NBody.html) article,but i just got error nbody_output.c:14: error: invalid operands to binary + (have ‘cl_float4’ and ‘cl_float4&rsquo nbody_output.c:16: error: invalid operands to binary / (have ‘cl_float4’ and ‘cl_float4&rsquo

Please check whether + and / operators supported on cl_float4 in stdcl.h or not.

dar

Originally posted by: dar
                  Originally posted by: genaganna

jross

AptypR,

I believe what dar, the libstdcl developer, was trying to say using an iPhone4 was that the tutorial was written using the beta4 version of OpenCL.  The original version did compile and run.  Expect the tutorial code to be updated on the website in the next couple of hours or days and in the mean time, you can try component-wise addition and division like this:

/* nbody_output.c */ #include <stdio.h> #include <stdcl.h> void nbody_output( int n, cl_float4* pos, cl_float4* vel ) { int i; cl_float4 center = (cl_float4){0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f}; for(i=0;i<n;i++) { cl_float4_x(center) += cl_float4_x(pos[i]); cl_float4_y(center) += cl_float4_y(pos[i]); cl_float4_z(center) += cl_float4_z(pos[i]); cl_float4_w(center) += cl_float4_w(pos[i]); } cl_float4_x(center) /= n; cl_float4_y(center) /= n; cl_float4_z(center) /= n; cl_float4_w(center) /= n; printf("ave_pos => {%f,%f,%f}\n", cl_float4_x(center),cl_float4_y(center),cl_float4_z(center) ); }