8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 10:46 AM by Rasale

Compiling open64 64bits on ubuntu10.04

paul_fr

All,

I tried ounce to install open64 (64 bits) under ubuntu 10.04  to have a powerful and optimized fortran compiler to perform fea's (in conjunction to ACML libraries).

I followed the install file instruction but I've had no fortran libraries at the end (and I'm not sure to well compile it under 64 bits).

=> Maybe it's a misunderstanding due to the language (English is not my mother language) but in addition to the install file instruction (several steps) is there any specific parameters for ubuntu 10.04 ?

Any advice for installing ACML afterward ?

Thanks

Paul

• Compiling open64 64bits on ubuntu10.04
          Rasale

Hi Paul,

We have couple of questions for you:

a.       Are you trying to build open64 sources on 64-bit Ubuntu?

b.      Is there a reason why you may not be using the build binaries?

In case you are trying to build open64 sources, please follow the UBUNTU build steps detailed in the INSTALL document. Else download tar.bz2 binaries if you would like to start using open64 to build your Fortran sources.

Please let us know if this information helps and post us the error you are facing, in case you still face issues.

Thanks

Anupama

paul_fr

Hi,

Thanks first for you interest ... concerning your questions :

a - yes I try to built open64 on ubunto 64 bits

b- (maybe I'm mistaken but) i was thinking that by installing the sources instead of the binaries,  open64 compileurs are optimized to my processor (Athlon 5000+ dual core) .... and at the end the acml libraries as well

=> Am I wrong ? will the binaries be as powerfull as the sources ?

Nota : I read first the Install file and especially the part  treating the ubuntu 10.04 os specific instructions ... if the compiling seemed to go well (no error), the instalation failed (a lot of libraries were not found) ...

In any way thanks for your advices.

regards

Paul

Rasale

Hi Paul,

As our binaries are built on Athlon, there may not be significant performance boost by compiling open64 sources.  Our suggestion to you would be, download and see if you are able to use these binaries to compile your Fortran sources.

In case you still want to go ahead building Open64 sources, here are the steps taken from the INSTALL document, for you to verify. This should help you to compare with your checklist and see if you have missed any of these steps. We have tested the build on Ubuntu 64-bit 10.04 release with Success.

a.       Install x86_open64-4.2.3.2-1.x86_64.tar.bz2 (60.8MB) at /opt directory

b.  export TOOLROOT=/opt/x86_open64-4.2.3.2

c.  export PATH=${TOOLROOT}/bin:$PATH

d.  apt-get install build-essential gfortran flex bison

e.  apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib gfortran-multilib lib32gcc1

f.  make all MACHINE_TYPE=i386 SHELL=/bin/bash

g.  export TOOLROOT=~/myopen64

h.  export PATH=${TOOLROOT}/bin:$PATH

i.  ./install_compiler.sh i386

j.  export BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR=/opt/x86_open64-4.2.3.2/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-open64-linux/4.2.3.2

k.  export NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR=${TOOLROOT}/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-open64-linux/4.2.4/

l.         Copy below listed files:

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libacml_mv.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libffio.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libffio.so $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libfortran.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libfortran.so $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libmv.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libmv.so.1 $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libopen64rt.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/libopen64rt_shared.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libacml_mv.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libffio.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libffio.so $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libfortran.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libfortran.so $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libmv.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libmv.so.1 $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libopen64rt.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

cp $BUILD_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32/libopen64rt_shared.a $NEW_COMPILER_LIBDIR/32

m.  make lib MACHINE_TYPE=i386 SHELL=/bin/bash BUILD_COMPILER=OSP

n.  make -C osprey/targx8664_builtonia32 SHELL=/bin/bash BUILD_COMPILER=OSP

o.  ./install_compiler.sh i386

These steps should have newly build open64-4.2.4 compiler installed under ~/myopen64.

Let us know if the information helps you to proceed further with your experiments on Open64.

Thanks

Anupama

paul_fr

I don't know if it's relevant (or not) but I noticed the following trouble :

../../libiberty/choose-temp.c: In function ‘choose_temp_base’:
                      ../../libiberty/choose-temp.c:73: warning: ignoring return value of ‘mktemp’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
                      ../../libiberty/pexecute.c: In function ‘pexecute’:
                      ../../libiberty/pexecute.c:744: warning: ignoring return value of ‘dup’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
                      ../../libiberty/pexecute.c:750: warning: ignoring return value of ‘dup’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
                      abandon : There is no Mercurial repository here (.hg not found) !

However note that mercurial is still installed !

etc. ...

I'm seriously thinking in installing the binaries !!!!