cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

drstrip
Journeyman III

kernel function appears to corrupt memory

When I execute the code below and then examine the values in spin_out (by reading the buffer back to the host), they are equal to the value of c4, regardless of what I set c4 to, and regardless of the fact that the last thing the kernel does is set spin_out to 0.

Needless to say, I'm baffled at this point.

inline uint4 newSeed(uint4 seed) { uint4 a4 = (uint4) (1664525U, 1664525U, 1664525U, 1664525U); uint4 c4 = (uint4) (1013904223U, 1013904223U, 1013904223U, 1013904223U); return (a4 * seed + c4); } __kernel void the_kernel (__global int4 * spin, __global int4 * spin_out, __global uint4 * seeds, __const uint ROWS, __const uint COLS, __const uint NUM_SPIN_STATES) { /* find the global location in output */ int row = get_global_id(0); int col = get_global_id(1); int my_index = index(row, col, COLS); seeds[my_index] = newSeed(seeds[my_index]); spin_out[my_index] =0; }

0 Likes
2 Replies
drstrip
Journeyman III

In the course of trying a few things, I discovered I didn't even need to call the function to create the problem. I could just have the line

seeds[my_index] = 5;

and my spin_out would contain all 5s.

If I comment out the assignment to seeds[myindex], then spin_out contains whatever I assign to it. (I tried values other than 0 to rule out the usual sorts of problems that come from 0 being a default value for a lot of things).

Since I can get spin_out to return the correct value when the assignment is commented out, that increases my confidence that I'm reading the right buffer and that I'm passing my args in the right order (and I've checked them multiple times.)

0 Likes

found it.

Changes in the calling code inadvertantly led to the args to Enqueue2DRangeKernel to incorrect dimensions. The second dimension was too high by a factor of 16, which resulting in the buffers overwriting their boundaries.

0 Likes