6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 11:08 AM by djoni

CodeAnalyst hangs at "Adding functions to filenames"

robwijnhoven
      Hangs at specific (user) DLL only...

I profile my app using CodeAnalyst.

Since the .exe links against multiple libraries, I want to check the performance of each of these libraries.
      After a "time-based profiling" run on the executable, all data is nicely available. When I double-click on any DLL, I see the functions called inside the DLL. When double-clicking any function, normally the actual source code of the function pops up. This all goes well, except for one DLL file.

When I double click any function inside that DLL, Code Analyst shows "Adding functions to filenames". The progress counter quickly goes to 99% and stops there. There is still 100% load on one of the cores. I left it runing for 2 hours but nothing happens.

Any idea of what can be wrong? Thanks!

My compliments for the tool in general, works like a charm (except for this small 'hickup' ;-)).

System specs:

- AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 2600 MHz
      - Windows XP 64-bit professional SP2
      - CodeAnalyst_Public_2.95.792.0504
      - 8 GByte RAM
      - Visual Studio Express 2008
      - ReleaseWithDebugInfo build, using /Zi and /DEBUG

• CodeAnalyst hangs at "Adding functions to filenames"
          djoni

Has there been any reply to this post? 

I have the exact same issue of hanging-at-99% window saying "Adding functions to filenames". The only few occasions when it did work were for some function calls with extremely low timer samples (the least interesting case). 

My system is Windows XP SP3 and I use CodeAnalyst 3.2.962.731

This happens both when using CodeAnalyst as a standalone and from Visual Studio 2008. 

It happens both with Debug code and ReleaseWithDebugSymbols. 

It's really frustrating because it's a really convenient and easy to use product. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hello Djoni,

I have a few questions.  Is this managed code?  Are there intrinsic functions?  Have you enabled an enhanced instruction set (/arch:)?  How large is the module?  Is there anything unusual about the module?  What is your system's memory usage like when it hangs?

Does it still have issues if you uncheck "Show code density chart" in the Tools | CodeAnalyst Options dialog, Toolbars tab?

Thanks,

djoni

Hi Frank, 

Thank you for replying quickly. 

> Is this managed code? 

Just Debug with /ZI

> Are there intrinsic functions? 

Not explicitly enabled, unless they're enabled by /O2 (which is set)

> Have you enabled an enhanced instruction set (/arch:)? 

No. 

> How large is the module? 

30Mb

> Is there anything unusual about the module? 

Well... I don't think so. It just uses CUDA. (sorry :) )

> What is your system's memory usage like when it hangs?

CPU usage (on a quad core) goes from 5% to 30% and "CodeAnalyst.exe" process memory usage goes from about 30Mb, and it increases very slowly (at about 200kb/s) to ???? It has just passed 800Mb now and is still growing. I'm going to have to kill the process (it's been hanging for a couple of hours now). 

> Does it still have issues if you uncheck "Show code density chart" in the Tools | CodeAnalyst Options dialog, Toolbars tab?

Yes it still happens. 

I hope those answers will help. 

Thank you, 

Julien