bingo88

Annoying DVI driver issue with Radeon X850XT?

Discussion created by bingo88 on Mar 20, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 by bingo88

Hello,

last week I bought a 22 inch TFT display. But yesterday I noticed a really annoying issue: If the display goes to standby mode (either by pressing the power button or by windows powersaver) and I press the power button again there is just a message saying there's no video signal! I have to reboot my PC in order to get a signal again!

This bug does only occur when I'm using the DVI connector of my MSI Radeon X850XT PE AGP. When I'm using the standard VGA connector there aren't any problems (except the image is a little blurry - not much but I think it's due to the analog signal of the VGA). I've booted Ubuntu Linux from a live cd - no issues. I'm using Windows without the Catalyst driver - no issues. I'm installing the Catalyst Legacy 10.2 - oh no, there it is!

So I think it must be a driver related issue. I've googled a bit and found something on a problem with faulty EDIDs (display "firmware"?) but no working solution. I've replaced my Radeon by an old Geforce 4 Ti 4200 and there is nothing! No bug, everything works like a charm.

Is this a known issue? Any chances this might be fixed in a future driver release? During my recherche, I found topics on the AMD Game Forums that even people with newer hardware like HD4870 have this issue!

PS: I'm from Germany so please excuse any language mistakes I make )

Outcomes