I'm just getting started with my experiments using ATi card for general purpose computation (I have a lot of experience with CUDA programming). However, I have been extreme trouble getting my 5870 to run reliably in the Linux box that I have. The box is configured as following:
- 3GB Nehalem 920
- Ubuntu 9.1
- Catalyst 10.2
- Stream SDk 2.01
However, I have been all kinds of problems when using this machine:
- The mouse pointer disappeared, after searching on the forums I found a fix was to enable the SWCursor in the xorg.conf file.
- Corruption with windows, blinks squares appearing on the screen.
- Extreme jerkyness when moving windows around.
- Inability of OpenCL / CAL programs to find the GPU.
- Failure of OpenGL programs to run.
- Some CAL programs lockup the kernel requiring a reboot.
What's most infuriating about all this is the lack of reproducibility of it all. Sometimes a machine reboot will clear the issues, sometimes programs will run one second, the next the machine will lock up. Any help would be most appreciated.