Brane2

Gentoo install problem & problem with using -mp option...

Discussion created by Brane2 on Feb 23, 2010
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2010 by Brane2

I tried to install Open64-4.2.3.1 on my Gentoo and even with tweaks, listed in "INSTALL" for "Ubuntu" and "Red Hat" I can not finish install successfully without changing the line for library compilation from:

make lib MACHINE_TYPE=i386 BUILD_COMPILER=OSP

to

export MACHINE_TYPE=i386 ; make lib  BUILD_COMPILER=OSP

Error manifests itself at the very end of compilation with:

make[3]: Nothing to be done for `first'.

make make_libdeps

C      /usr/src/x86_open64-4.2.3.1/osprey/targia32_builtonia32/libdwarf/../../libdwarf/dwarfdump/dwarfdump.c

C      /usr/src/x86_open64-4.2.3.1/osprey/targia32_builtonia32/libdwarf/../../libdwarf/dwarfdump/makename.c

C      /usr/src/x86_open64-4.2.3.1/osprey/targia32_builtonia32/libdwarf/../../libdwarf/dwarfdump/tag_attr.c

collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libc.so when searching for -lc

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libc.a when searching for -lc

/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/../lib/crt1.o' is incompatible with i386 output

/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/../lib/crti.o' is incompatible with i386 output

/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/../lib/crtn.o' is incompatible with i386 output

make[3]: *** [tag_attr_build] Error 1

make[2]: *** [default] Error 2

make[1]: *** [default] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/x86_open64-4.2.3.1/osprey/targia32_builtonia32'

make: *** [lib] Error 2        

When I change line to second form, everything compiles O.K.

A

lso, when I try to compile anything, even the trivial few-lines-example with "-mp" flag, I get errors like:

undefined reference to `__ompc_can_fork'

undefined reference to `omp_get_num_threads()'

It seems as if compiler forgot to link in openmp part of library or something like that...

Without the "-mp", everything compiles fine...

I might also mention that I have several versions of gcc on the system (3.4.6 , 4.1.2 , 4.2.4 , 4.3.4 and 4.4.3 ) with 4.4.3 as an active one during instalation and usage...

Outcomes