6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 10:59 AM by heavensonearth

Toolbar doesn't show in VS 2005

linkrocks
      VS 2005 Toolbar missing

I had Code Analyst working on my PC in VS 2005 and somehow I hid the toolbar and now I can't find it. It's not under View->Otherwindows or the Toolbars drop down list. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CA without any success of the toolbar reappearing. When I look under tools->options I see CA and its options for General, Directories, Toolbars and even with all of the option checked I still see nothing. I'm running Win 7, but as I said I had it running before on here, I just don't know how to get it working again.

• Toolbar doesn't show in VS 2005

Hello linkrocks,

It should be available under the menu View | Toolbars | AMD CodeAnalyst, or through the right-click context menu in the toolbar area of "AMD CodeAnalyst".

You might try running "devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs" to make sure that Visual Studio isn't skipping loading it for some reason.

linkrocks

I ran the devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs command in the VS command prompt without any success. Still no luck getting code analyst to load. It's not under View | toolbars and I can't find a context menu either.

linkrocks

Hmm no matter what I try I can't get it to run under VS 2005, I have 2008 on my PC and it works fine under it, but no luck in the other. And with some of the projects I'm working on, its impossible for everyone to just use 2008.

Hmm.  That's interesting.  Does the "devenv.exe /setup" from the 2005 environment work any better?

linkrocks

From cygwin, run, and inside the 2005 command prompt all result the same

heavensonearth

I was puzzled by the same thing, I hadn't installed an add-in to Visual Studio 2005+ before. I tried another add-in with the same result, and then discovered add-ins are not available in the Express editions. I downloaded the Pro edition trial and it works fine.

Thanks for a great piece of software! The problem isn't AMD's or a user's, it's the poor quality of information on the differences between different versions on the Microsoft Website. The only way to find out the specific differences is to install the different versions, which is espeically difficult because they can leave thousands of registry key behind on uninstallation. I recommend not trying to install a different version (Express, Pro, etc) of the same Visual Studio Edition (2005, 2088, 2010), it can be very time consuming depending on your system configuration.

I was really impressed by the quality of the CodeAnalyst reports. They are comparable to Vtune which is hudreds of dollars from Intel. Thenks again for a great piece of software.