abrahm

Trouble with beta4 drivers

Discussion created by abrahm on Nov 5, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 by abrahm
black screen with beta4 8.67 drivers

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 amd64. I set up ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64.tgz without trouble. I can compile and run the example programs on my cpu (if I copy libaticalrt.so and libaticalcl.so to $ATISTREAMSDKROOT/lib/x86_64/).

I wanted to take the next step, and get code running on my Radeon Mobility 4830. I extracted ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-lnx.zip. In the fglrx-8.67/ directory, I run "sudo ./ati-driver-installer-8.67-x86.x86_64.run". Everything appears to build and install successfully. The kernel module can load without trouble, but I get a black screen when X starts. It appears as though my computer has completely locked up.

If I remove the fglrx.ko kernel module, then X will start and not hang the system. I get the "For testing" AMD logo in the lower right corner of the screen. 2D performance is absolutely awful, and I get an error when I try to run my openCL applications. After the expiration message printout, I get an "X Error of failed request: ..." and then some information about failed request opcodes.

Am I missing something?

Outcomes