26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 2:26 AM by cenit

Does HD4330 support openCL?

I am using a notebook (Acer AS3810TG) with HD4330 display card installed. And in the openCL manual I found HD4000 serials.

After installed the ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-vista-win7 driver and the openCL sdk, I found that no aticalcl.dll exception occurred when tring to run the samples. So I expand the aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll from the driver zip file manually. The samples finally run but each one says 'Unsupported GPU device; falling back to CPU ...'

If there anything wrong or HD4330 does not support openCL at all?

• Does HD4330 support openCL?
          genaganna

Originally posted by: hotfox I am using a notebook (Acer AS3810TG) with HD4330 display card installed. And in the openCL manual I found HD4000 serials.

After installed the ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-vista-win7 driver and the openCL sdk, I found that no aticalcl.dll exception occurred when tring to run the samples. So I expand the aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll from the driver zip file manually. The samples finally run but each one says 'Unsupported GPU device; falling back to CPU ...'

If there anything wrong or HD4330 does not support openCL at all?

Yes, OpenCL is not supported on HD4330

See following link for list of supported devices

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

MicahVillmow
            Hotfox,
            Does CAL work with the board? Please try some of the CAL samples and see if they correctly detect the graphics card.

thanks everybody

I tried the cal samples, and get some odd result, listed here:

C:\Users\HotFox\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\cal\bin\x86>basic
                Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185
                Found CAL Runtime Version: -2.4206270.4204230
                Use -? for help
                There was an error initializing CAL.
                Error string is Unable to load aticaldd

C:\Users\HotFox\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\cal\bin\x86>cal_idct
                Found CAL Runtime Version: -2.4204096.4201825
                Use -? for help
                Error: CAL initialization failed (calInit).

C:\Users\HotFox\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\cal\bin\x86>hellocal
                Found CAL Runtime Version: -2.4203323.4198441
                Use -? for help
                Program compilation failed. Exiting.

any idea what had happend?

and what's more, why normal installation cannot expands the aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll out of the driver package? I must do it by hand -_-;

ps. this notebook has two display cards, one is the onboard intel 4500HD, another is the HD4330. Two cards are hot-switchable under Vista. Driver is installed when the HD4330 is switched on and the samples test in the same condition too.

cenit

do you have any news about OpenCL & HD4330 (Acer AS5810TG here, same as HotFox one, switchable radeon/intel, the difference is that I have a 15" LCD)??

I'm asking because I would like to use this notebook to develop "on the road", when I'm not sitting in front of my workstation. I do not need great performances, compatibility would be enough.

But I would like to try only if I know that it will work, I'm sorry but I do not want to screw a working laptop with driver not working and only to find that opencl is not supported. So I will install it only if I will get good news...

thanks in advance!

genaganna

Originally posted by: cenit do you have any news about OpenCL & HD4330 (Acer AS5810TG here, same as HotFox one, switchable radeon/intel, the difference is that I have a 15" LCD)??

I'm asking because I would like to use this notebook to develop "on the road", when I'm not sitting in front of my workstation. I do not need great performances, compatibility would be enough.

But I would like to try only if I know that it will work, I'm sorry but I do not want to screw a working laptop with driver not working and only to find that opencl is not supported. So I will install it only if I will get good news...

Cenit,

Hotfox able to run successfully on HD4330.  You can try safely.

cenit

Originally posted by: genaganna

Cenit,

thanks a lot! One more question: which driver should I use?

10.1 for discrete Radeons?

because the latest that Acer is offering is the "old" 8.652.1

genaganna

Originally posted by: cenit

Cenit,

thanks a lot! One more question: which driver should I use?

10.1 for discrete Radeons?

because the latest that Acer is offering is the "old" 8.652.1

Cenit,

You should get latest driver from Acer or you should use what is available.

cenit

Cenit,

Genaganna,

thanks a lot for your helpfulness, but my problems are not over.

As I said, Acer latest driver is 9.7, too old for OpenCL. So, trying to interpret your "you should use what is available", I downloaded 10.1 from ATi website. Of course, it wasn't able to find a suitable card. So, following advices on the internet, I downloaded 9.12 hotfixed and modded them with DH Mobility Modder (I know you do not support it!, and I used 9.12hf because modder is incompatible with 10.1)

So I installed 9.12hf finding that CCC included is incompatible with GPU switching (fundamental in this notebook with two gpus)

So I removed CCC and reinstalled the one included with 9.7 from ATi.

Reboot and what? 9.12hf driver doesn't work. Could it be that, because I'm on Win7 64 bit, drivers are no more WHQL being modded and so they're not loaded? In device manager, it appears that HD 4330 drivers are not loaded because they've some problems...

You said that hotfox was able to work and so to try safely, but now I'm in the situation in which I didn't want to be, having lost a lot of time and much other to lose to repair. I'm not angry with anyone, how could it be, if this could be read from my words (I have some difficulties to explain myself), you can be sure of it! I only would like an advice or an idea if you have one to get this configuration working. How is Hotfox able to run OpenCL on his notebook?

genaganna
                                        Originally posted by: cenit

Cenit,

Genaganna,

thanks a lot for your helpfulness, but my problems are not over.

As I said, Acer latest driver is 9.7, too old for OpenCL. So, trying to interpret your "you should use what is available", I downloaded 10.1 from ATi website. Of course, it wasn't able to find a suitable card. So, following advices on the internet, I downloaded 9.12 hotfixed and modded them with DH Mobility Modder (I know you do not support it!, and I used 9.12hf because modder is incompatible with 10.1)

So I installed 9.12hf finding that CCC included is incompatible with GPU switching (fundamental in this notebook with two gpus)

So I removed CCC and reinstalled the one included with 9.7 from ATi.

Reboot and what? 9.12hf driver doesn't work. Could it be that, because I'm on Win7 64 bit, drivers are no more WHQL being modded and so they're not loaded? In device manager, it appears that HD 4330 drivers are not loaded because they've some problems...

You said that hotfox was able to work and so to try safely, but now I'm in the situation in which I didn't want to be, having lost a lot of time and much other to lose to repair. I'm not angry with anyone, how could it be, if this could be read from my words (I have some difficulties to explain myself), you can be sure of it! I only would like an advice or an idea if you have one to get this configuration working. How is Hotfox able to run OpenCL on his notebook?