Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

onsager
Journeyman III

OpenCL support - general questions/remarks

A rant

This is a rant, sorry for this. Usually, I don't start participation in this way. But...

After AMD announced OpenCL GPU support, I tried to install the beta4 on WinXP. I recognize the beta state, but the installation only backed up the impression I got from silently following the forum during the last few weeks. After unpacking the installer in some obscure temp folder and stopping to continue with unzipping and installing (*) the whole procedure stopped with an "Error 1320. The specified path is too long: V:my".

Mmmh "V\my" is too long, quite interesting...

What I can read here is very often in this spirit. Teething troubles everywhere. While this is to expect with new technology, AMD seems to get things wrong again when it comes to software support. I like the cards, but this situation is less than assuring. Don't miss the train again.

Michael 

(*) C'mon folk, we are developers, give us a simple zip file in the first place or the real installation executable, we can deal with it - in any case it's better than some half-baked selfextracting file containing other packed variants like an onion, complicating things for no reason.

0 Likes
8 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Hi onsager,

Which package is giving the issue(SDK/Samples)?

Could you try extracting it to any local directory(other than the default temp directory) and try installing?

0 Likes

Could you try extracting it to any local directory(other than the default temp directory) and try installing?

The samples. I did so and got a msi installer "ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-xp32-samples.msi". I fired them up and made a choice "V:\my\ati" only to get the mentioned warning regarding the parent directory "V:\my". After that nothing happened. I had to close the installer. No files are copied. V: is a subst, if that matters.

Michael

0 Likes

Originally posted by: onsager

The samples. I did so and got a msi installer "ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-xp32-samples.msi". I fired them up and made a choice "V:\my\ati" only to get the mentioned warning regarding the parent directory "V:\my". After that nothing happened. I had to close the installer. No files are copied. V: is a subst, if that matters.

Michael

OS and Service pack please?

0 Likes

OS and Service pack please?

> ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-xp32-samples.msi

So the answer is WinXP, SP3.

Michael

0 Likes

Originally posted by: onsager

> ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-xp32-samples.msi

So the answer is WinXP, SP3.

Michael

It seems you have 64 bit OS.

Install 64 bit msi (ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-xp64-samples.msi). i hope it runs fine.

0 Likes

It seems you have 64 bit OS.

I don't think anything in my postings suggested this. The XP is 32-bit, of course.

Michael

0 Likes

There may be some problem with xp installer, more information in this thread :

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=120275&enterthread=y

0 Likes

Originally posted by: onsagerNo files are copied. V: is a subst, if that matters.

Michael

Could you try installing in a local drive and see?

0 Likes